Pressure Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. Question about my mains water pressure.

My neighbours either side of me (on a sloping track of 5 houses), have what I can only describe as phenomenal water pressure in their homes and garden taps.

My water pressure is significantly lower than both of theirs which makes showering miserable and even my power washer complains.

I can only assume that there is something not fully open somewhere on my supply.

The only stopcock that I know of is fully open, which is in my basement and is of the tap type.

I’m wondering if there’s another valve somewhere outside that needs opening. Would I be correct in thinking that every house would have a stopcock from the mains when it branches into the property? None of my neighbours know where theirs are either and as the houses were all independently built within a few years of each other in the 80s we have no info on where these could be.

Are there any tips or tricks to finding where an outside valve could be? Or if there could be another cause of the lower water pressure, of course.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You should have an outside mains tap(toby) in the street, around about the boundary, time to find that.

That’s the challenge. The “street” is a private dirt track shared by the houses. It was recently resurfaced and there were no covers found when scraping down.

It could be buried by my garden wall I guess. Time to get out searching.

That’s the challenge. The “street” is a private dirt track shared by the houses. It was recently resurfaced and there were no covers found when scraping down.

It could be buried by my garden wall I guess. Time to get out searching.

Your local water company might be able to help you find it. They need to know where their tap is.

Sponsored Links
Low and behold, with the help of my kids metal detector, I found it buried under a conifer. Full of soil and stones. Now clear but it’s a tap and it’s seized. Will need to work on that.

So who would own a boundary stopcock? If it belongs to the water company are they obligated to free it?

If it's on the boundary, then don't try and repair it, that's the water transporters issue. Basically it means that if it shears when trying to free it, they need to fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back