Trouble turning off mains water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm trying to locate the stopcock for my house. There is a tap under my kitchen sink which I turned off, however 5 minutes later, the water was still flowing normally out of my cold water taps. The only tap that did stop flowing was an nearby outside tap located under the kitchen window. How long would it normally take for the pressure to drop in all the taps if that had been the correct valve?

There is a water mains cover outside the front of my house, but when I opened it, it was filled with soil and dirt. Is it likely that the only stop valve for the house will be in there?

Thanks for humoring a newbie.

Sponsored Links
vard0 said:
I'm trying to locate the stopcock for my house. There is a tap under my kitchen sink which I turned off, however 5 minutes later, the water was still flowing normally out of my cold water taps. The only tap that did stop flowing was an nearby outside tap located under the kitchen window.
Then that valve is only for the outside tap.

How long would it normally take for the pressure to drop in all the taps if that had been the correct valve?
About one second after opening a tap.

There is a water mains cover outside the front of my house, but when I opened it, it was filled with soil and dirt. Is it likely that the only stop valve for the house will be in there?
Yup.

Get a hosepipe and a wet-vac; direct the hose pipe into the stopcock recess and suck out the slurry with the wet-vac; repeat until clear, whilst periodically swearing at the water authority under your breath.

vard0 said:
There is a tap under my kitchen sink which I turned off, however 5 minutes later, the water was still flowing normally out of my cold water taps. The only tap that did stop flowing was an nearby outside tap located under the kitchen window.
then you have probably just turned off the control to the outside tap.

Yes, sounds like your main stop tap.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I guess I'll have to go the swearing route.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
periodically swearing at the water authority under your breath.

Not their fault that worms/ants fill boxes with soil. Water authority can't help that boxes get filled with coke cans/sweet wrappers/hypodermic syringes/tarmac/stone etc.

It might do you better to try and get some of it out with a tool before hand. Small garden hoe or a piece of tube may do the job. Wedge the tube into the muck, pull it out slowly and then whack it on the kerb to loosen what's stuck inside.

Will make wet vac job easier if there's less solids.

BoxBasher said:
Not their fault that worms/ants fill boxes with soil. Water authority can't help that boxes get filled with coke cans/sweet wrappers/hypodermic syringes/tarmac/stone etc.
Oh blimey. Given that the job is a tad unpleasant, it's useful to have someone to harmlessly-swear-under-the-breath at. Who else would you recommend?

It might do you better to try and get some of it out with a tool before hand. Small garden hoe or a piece of tube may do the job. Wedge the tube into the muck, pull it out slowly and then whack it on the kerb to loosen what's stuck inside.
That would certainly make the job take longer, if that's what you mean by better. :confused:

Will make wet vac job easier if there's less solids.
I'm very confused - how do you make sucking half a bunch of slurry out of a hole with a wet vac "easier" than sucking a bunch of slurry out of a hole with a wet vac?

Softus said:
I'm very confused - how do you make sucking half a bunch of slurry out of a hole with a wet vac "easier" than sucking a bunch of slurry out of a hole with a wet vac?
I just find it a lot easier clearing large lumps of dry material out as far as the tap crutch as opposed to having to clear the whole chamber out of wet slop, and more often than not the collapsed sides as well.

Chalk that one up to a difference of opinion - possibly a biased opinion as I never use a vac. I find it easier to shift dry or fairly firm wet stuff with a spoon bar/scoop than it is to shift wet sloppy stuff. When I have to move wet stuff I tend to find that less lumps and thinner solution is far easier.

BoxBasher said:
Chalk that one up to a difference of opinion - possibly a biased opinion as I never use a vac.
Fair play. No worries. :)

Softus said:
BoxBasher said:
Oh blimey. Given that the job is a tad unpleasant, it's useful to have someone to harmlessly-swear-under-the-breath at. Who else would you recommend?
I usually swear at the little b*****rds that put coke cans and crisp packets down there - usually the one whose fish wife "mother" is swearing at you because her plumber doesn't know how to freeze or squeeze a pipe and she's annoyed that her inside tap is dripping all over her filthy kitchen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back