How to turn off mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a bit of a blind question as someone may need to look around my property but I will give it a go and try best to explain.

I need to turn off the mains water to the house to change some washers in our upstairs bathroom taps.

I can turn off the cold mains to the kitchen sink with the tap under there.

The hot water runs through a Greenstar Junior 28i and it appears that the tap under the sink doesn't affect the water to hot water taps. I assume I need to turn off the mains to the boiler?

Although the tap under the sink in the kitchen turns off the cold water supply to the cold tap there it doesn't turn off the cold water supply to the cold taps on the sink and bath in the bathroom.

I am at a total loss. I think there may be a mains stopcock on the pavement in front of the house but was hoping that I may have a mains stop valve in or nearer the house. All I can see out the bacl/side of house is a metal cover which I assume is the waste.

Any help much, much appreciated as I would like to find this out before the next big freeze.

Thanks,
C

Sponsored Links
A lot depends on the age of the house, usual places are just inside front door (victorian houses) duct on the chimney breast (houses with back boilers) obviousley under kitchen sink (look again there maybe another stopcock) but it could be anywhere, good hunting ;)

the reason your cold water taps still work, maybe becasue they are fed by the cold water tank in the loft.

do you have any stop cocks in the airing cupboard?

Sponsored Links
I don't have any tank in the loft. Boiler is fed off mains. It's a combi so no storage tank. I will keep looking for stop taps but none found yet.

My boiler is a Greenstar Junior 28i. Anyone know how I stop the mains water going into it? Total novice.

the tap under your sink prob isnt your mains stop cock.

what does this tap look like?

The one under the sink looks a bit like the one here...http://www.esrc.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/about/CI/CP/Our_Society_Today/News_Articles_2006/water.aspx

Too dark now. Will begin search again in morning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back