Water Does Not Turn Off !!!

Sponsored Links
I think traineegasman is vacuous and rather pathetic. The sooner he goes off to be silly somewhere else, the better.

No one cares what you think.......especially me..please go away..

Er gentlemen, all this is not helping ecafisac is it?

ecafisac,

Do you have a water cylinder, if so, there should be a stopcock for the draw off to the hot water supply from the top of the cylinder onward.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Er gentlemen, all this is not helping ecafisac is it?
EF

Tie up your ball valve in the larger of 2 tanks (if you have 2) and run off your hot water downstairs and cold water upstairs.
You will then be able to change your taps (except for the kitchen cold one which will be off the mains. :D

Gents....

There seems to be an issue. I switched the hot water and cold water off from the only two gate valves in the loft. I replaced my basin taps - no problem but when I went back into the loft to turned both gate valves on, only the cold water starts to run. All the hot water doesnt run.

The cistern is full of water and when I try to open the hot water tap ( the gate valve that is the lowest ) it keeps turning and turning and turning ( both clockwise and anti clockwise ) - there seems to be no tightening in either direction. - Whats happened here? why cant I get the hot water to run!

Cheers

:confused:

Oh dear:

looks like the gate valve is broken, common problem with old valve when you turn them off too tight.

your going to have to renew the valve after you get the water from the storage tank.

doitall said:
Oh dear:

looks like the gate valve is broken, common problem with old valve when you turn them off too tight.

your going to have to renew the valve after you get the water from the storage tank.

I was afraid that it would be broken. Trouble is, as you mentioned it is an old gate valve and from what I have seen, newer gate valves have a max size of 28 mm. this old one is much bigger about 35 mm....

Secondly, as I mentioned, the cistern is full of water, do I need to wait until this is emptied before i 'attempt' to change the valve?

You can still buy MONSTER gate valves, no problem. Start saving now though.
Yes you will have to get all the water out first. You can use a syphon or aquavac to get out the water below the operating tap.

Probably 11/4" Bss and Pipeline sell them up to 54mm in standard types and 300mm in special types larger are available as a special order.

ChrisR said:
It probably IS imperial pipe size if older than 1970 ish. If the fittings are compression, you need an adapting olive for 1 1/4". 35mm GV's are reasonably priced here : http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/100.asp

They 'll do the olives too.

Thanks Chris ! I'll order the 35 mm GV.... One question... how can I check for certain if the fittings are compression? ( From what I noted down, they look like standard nuts to me.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back