Mains stopcock only turns some taps off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So I'm looking to replace my shower and bathroom suite with new, but to do this you obviously need to turn the water off. Now when I turn the mains stopcock off outside my house, most of the taps in the house (eg kitchen sink) have no water supply going to them, but the toilet, sink and shower that I want to change still do! Have looked all over for another stopcock and can't find anything, but if the mains supply is turned off surely they shouldn't be getting any water go to them?

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Have you got a tank in the loft?

There are a couple of tanks upstairs but I'm pretty certain they are for the hot water. For example if your running the cold tap upstairs and you turn the cold tap on downstairs the upstairs tap will go off.

Assuming that you have identified the main house stop cock, you'll find that those items you mention are fed from your loft tank.
The same tank (or another one parallel with it) will supply the copper cylinder with water to be heated.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Assuming that you have identified the main house stop cock, you'll find that those items you mention are fed from your loft tank.
The same tank (or another one parallel with it) will supply the copper cylinder with water to be heated.
John :)

Righteo, mains is off and I'll leave the tap running and see what happens :)

There are usually additional valves on the outlet pipes from the larger of the tanks in the loft. Maybe in the loft or maybe lower down perhaps in the airing/hot water tank cupboard. This/these will shut off water to the other taps/shower, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back