Where to put stopcock?

4 Feb 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a strange situation.

I have a stopcock under my kitchen sink which turns off the water in the kitchen, but not the bathroom.

I've heard that the main stopcock for my type of house is in the loft, but I can't find it.

I need to fit a new shower, so the water needs to go off, so what do I do?

Can I fit a new main stopcock somewhere?

We have a combi boiler now, the water tank in the loft is no longer used.

I'm not sure where the mains supply comes into the house, but I'm thinking there would be a good place.
Sponsored Links
Your combi boiler will only do away with your hot water cylinder and header tank if you have one.You will have a cold storage tank up there otherwise all your cold supply would be mains.
the stopcock in your kit is only feeding your sink.

the water in your bathroom may be fed from a storage tank.

either way there should be another main stop valve

failing that get a toby key and sum rubber gloves
Sponsored Links
be careful before you buy a shower to make sure it is suitable for the pipe supply, if the bathroom is off storage you can get a pumped electric shower, mira make a good one, or is it easy to run a pipe from loft or kitchen to shower point and get an ordinary mains fed shower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local