pressure reduction value

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago we had the loft converted and had a shower room put in up there. The header tank is right up in the apex of the roof. Unfortunately the plumber did not put in a cold water feed for the shower from the header tank when he did the first fix. When I came to install the shower all I had was low pressure hot water, mains pressure cold and the plumber was long gone. We elected to put in a pressure reduction value on the cold water feed. This sort of works although the value gets limed up every once in a while and now the shower has sprung a leak from it mixer manifold. Can anyone recomend a better solution apart from getting a cold water feed from the header tank which would be very difficult.

I have thought of taking a feed from the radiator header tank - much smaller and lower (1meter below the shower head) The shower is a pump one (Showerforce 1500-XT) so would this matter too much...?

Sponsored Links
Yes it would matter too much. I saw an exploded boiler where someone had done that. Constant reoxygenation of the CH water leads to dramatic rusting in all the ferrous parts of the heating!

You could ADD a cistern for the cold, but if it's small it might run out unless you make sure it gets priority and have measured all the flows.
It would of course have to be ABOVE the shower head , about the same height as the other supply cistern

Sponsored Links
Oh yes, you might poison your family. Not as important as the boiler, obviously..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back