Pressure relief valve to cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, on the feed pipe to my unvented electric hot water cylinder I have a Caleffi combined pressure reducing and pressure relief valve that is letting some water through constantly. I can hear it going to the overflow pipe.
It’s easy to access and I can source the replacement part.
I have read that it is most likely that the pressure relief valve has failed.

I live remotely so usually fix things myself if possible.

Do you think that’s the most likely fault?
I have turned the cold water supply down to reduce the pressure and that hasn’t sorted it.
Logically even if the cylinder or expansion tank were over pressured they wouldn’t cause this valve to open as it is a one way valve pointing from the fresh supply to the cylinder.

Would you agree?
And if the best plan of action is a straight swap, is it a case of isolating, draining off, swapping the part?
And then is it just a case of turning the water back on or will the expansion tank or cylinder have depressurised? I don’t have any equipment to check pressure.

I know cylinders can be dangerous so am keen not to make any stupid mistakes.

Thanks very much for any help.

Sponsored Links
You need a G3 certified plumber to do any work on an unvented cylinder, irrespective of how remotely you live.

Last edited:
You need a G3 certified plumber to do any work on an unvented cylinder, irrespective of you remotely you live.
Thanks I was wondering about that.
Do you think I could have caused any danger by just turning the cold supply off and on and whooshing some water through the valve? That’s all I’ve done so far so hopefully that’s ok!

Sponsored Links
Turning mains cold water down will not alter pressure ,but will reduce flow ,and isn't gonna cause any dangerous scenario's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back