Pressure tank or Megaflow???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a house that needed refurbishment. Before it only had a bath and I want to add a shower to that main bathroom and add an ensuite downstairs.

I noticed the hot water was not very strong and so we checked the flow rate and pressure. The pressure is 4 bar which I assume is quite good. The flow rate is 14 litres per minute. The house is a four bedroom two bathroom house.

The current boiler is a vailient eco pro 24 which I assume I will need to upgrade. The question is, is whether to fit an accumulator tank along with a new more powerful combi or is it possible to fit a conventional boiler along with a mega flow to get the better pressure for the two bathrooms?

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Which tap did you use to measure the flow rate and pressure? If in the kitchen, some taps restrict the flow. Better to use the garden tap.

Installing a larger diameter feed pipe into the house will increase the flow rate.

You need at least 20 litres/min if you want to use two showers at the same time. That would mean at least a 35kw combi boiler.

If you install a conventional (non combi) boiler, you size it for the central heating requirement and add a few kW for the HW cylinder. Use Whole House Boiler Size Calculator to find out what size boiler you will then need.

As you are carrying out a refurbishment, make sure you insulate as well as possible. It will means a smaller boiler and lower running costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back