Pressure virtually nil but central heating is working…how ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve returned from holiday today and my central heating system (Worcester Greenstar 37cdi) has a leak on my Fernox TF1 joints
I’ve got some rubber washers so will replace tomorrow

But my question is, the pressure needle as shown on the attached photo was virtually nil BUT the central heating was working fine and the radiators were hot

1 - I thought if the pressure was so low that the boiler and central heating wouldn’t work, correct, or gave I dreamt this ?

2- as I had set the heating to come on whilst I was on holiday, has is done any damage running with virtually no pressure in the system, and needing a top up ?

Thanks in advance of anyone able to clarify

Attachments

• IMG_5778.jpeg
    IMG_5778.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
I’ve returned from holiday today and my central heating system (Worcester Greenstar 37cdi) has a leak on my Fernox TF1 joints
I’ve got some rubber washers so will replace tomorrow

But my question is, the pressure needle as shown on the attached photo was virtually nil BUT the central heating was working fine and the radiators were hot

1 - I thought if the pressure was so low that the boiler and central heating wouldn’t work, correct, or gave I dreamt this ?

2- as I had set the heating to come on whilst I was on holiday, has is done any damage running with virtually no pressure in the system, and needing a top up ?

Thanks in advance of anyone able to clarify
Interesting video about this.........

Sponsored Links
I think they run as I don’t think they have a low water pressure sensor
Thanks @CBW

So a future project I’m planning to do is add a few more radiators but I was apprehensive about not completing it in a single day and thus we had no hot water either

So do you think I can effectively knock out the heating then but my taps will work fine ?
Hopefully when I get around to it in the new year I can complete it in a day but the wife is nervous shall we say

Probably no damage done IMO as you did maybe have ~ a 2M head of water and if the upstairs rads were hot then every chance no damage.

PG is showing, being a little bit optimistic, 0.15/0.2bar, 1.5/2M? that boiler has probably a hi limit stat on the heat exchanger which would/should have locked the boiler out in any case and the water wasn't all lost suddenly like in the case of a pipe coming adrift, that happened to my neighbours OF Firebird and the hi limit stat just shut off power to the boiler.
1703407829143.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back