Preventing Chimney Draught

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an open fireplace in my living room. We use it occasionally during winter, not really for heat mostly for the effect. The majority of the time it lets in a massive draught. We have a resorted to stuffing an old pillow up it but it is messy when we want to use it and looks stupid.

Can someone suggest something to fit to keep the draught out but allow us to use it when we want? I have seen chimney ballons but they seem to be sold in the US only.

Sponsored Links
You can get balloon type things that can block the draught out but can be easily removed when you require the fire to be in operation.
Will get the real name for you, could be chimney balloons?
Here is a link
chimney balloons

I would not advise you close it off altogether for any length of time. Failure to provide adequate ventilate for an unused flue will lead to condensation & possible damp patches forming. If you don’t have a rain cap on the pot you will also get water permeating down the flue in bad weather, without ventilation it wont dry out naturally = same problem. Condensation/water will also activate sulphur deposits found on the inside of the flue, resulting in a corrosive acid which attacks the inside of the flue or flue liner.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. Good point about ventilation. It doesn't have a rain cap currently but I was going to get it sweept shortly so might get someone to pop one on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back