Draught proofing my house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Im now in my 1930 ex council house and before we start on our extension in the new year I need to make the house as comfortable as possible during the harsh winter as the house is exposed!!!

Im replacing some of the windows this week(currently single glazed Ally),
Ive insulated the loft and sealed as many gaps as possible and repaired ridge tiles due to the damp chimney breast.

But there is a lot of draught still entering the house. Mainly from the chimneys and wall vent for the boiler in the kitchen.

How can I block/fill these without leading to further problems? The wall vent I know is to provide air for the boiler but is there a way around the vent to stop the horrendous draught? The chimneys are not in use but have original fireplaces so dont want to remove.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't get too excited blocking everything up, what are the walls constructed of, is there any cavity insulation?

If you seal your house up like a drum and it cannot breathe you will have issues with condensations, and possibly mold. Your new windows should have trickle vents fitted, and need to be installed by a Fensa registered installer, or you will need to notify your local building control officer at cost to you.

But there is a lot of draught still entering the house. Mainly from the chimneys and wall vent for the boiler in the kitchen.

You can't get a draught from the chimney as it sucks out and does not blow in - or there would be soot all over the place and a major problem.

The wall vent for the boiler? Well there is a clue in there somewhere, and probably best not to block this one up

You can't get a draught from the chimney as it sucks out and does not blow in - or there would be soot all over the place and a major problem.

The wall vent for the boiler? Well there is a clue in there somewhere, and probably best not to block this one up

Thats why in my original post I asked if there were any ways around the vent ( is there some sort of anti-draught fitting Etc..)

Cold air blowing in, warm air being sucked out! It doesnt matter how the chimney works, im losing heat and need to rectify it safely and without causing further problems.

Thanks
Jack

Sponsored Links
to temporary block the chimney you can use a balloon like this one http://ecoutlet.co.uk/chimney-balloons.html
vent at the kitchen- if the hole is close to the boiler- you can box that in together with the boiler, if farther- might run vent ducting and box that in if there any space for doing that
as said Maxsys- if you will block all the holes your house will suffer from damp problems
Salute
MINDEX

IF the boiler is balanced flue - and if you are not sure post the make and model number here and someone will tell you - the vent may not be necessary.

Don't block it up unless you are sure,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back