blocking up a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wanting to fully refurb/redecorate my front room and am looking at removing the fireplace hearth and mantel - and then plaster board over the old fireplace hole and skim. I live in a 1930's semi - and the chimney breast is shared on an internal wall with the next door neighbour. I am just going to upgrade the radiator in the front room and use this as the only heat source. in the bedroom above we have a small vent on the chimney stack behind a false cupboard door. When the wind gets up it is very noisy both downstairs and in the upstairs bedroom. Could somebody please tell me what I need to consider before I board up the firplace opening downstairs?
I havent been on the roof yet - but from reading on here it sounds as though the top of the chimney is not capped (hence the draught when windy)?
Ive read on here that I need to make sure its ventilated - but I want to block up the fireplace as well as the vent upstairs eventually If I am able to.
any help musch appreciated - as always

thanks

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192666

I need to search a bit better - the above thread answers me questions perfectly. Think I will block the vent in the bedroom up - and then fit a vent into the skirting board that will go anross the bottom of my old fireplace opening downstairs.

does anybody think there would be a problem with doing it this way?

Do building regs need a certain size vent?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back