Blocking up an upstairs fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an old open fireplace downstairs which is used in the winter and there is one directly upstairs in the main bedroom. I take it they share the same chimney as they are on the same chimneybreast?

The problem is that the bedroom is always freezing! I don't want to do away with the fireplace as it is an old fireplace and so a nice feature. Is there any -easy- way to prevent the draft coming through it and the heat escaping but will not effect the use of the downstairs fire?

I'm not up on all the terminology etc. so a 'noddy' explanation would be appreciated, I am a have-a-go diy-er and so will give it a go before paying anyone else!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Each fireplace will have it's own flue, so if you block up the upper one the lower one won't be affected.

stuff some fibreglass loft insulation in the flue :idea: - remove for the summer

Sponsored Links
Is there any -easy- way to prevent the draft coming through it and the heat escaping but will not effect the use of the downstairs fire?

Do you honestly think the smoke from downstairs just wafts by the upstairs fireplace without coming out into the room? :rolleyes:

Your upstairs flue should be separate. Go outside and count the chimney pots for a start! (Hoping none are missing!)

99.9% chance you have one for each fireplace including other fireplaces you have not mentioned. Shared flues are possble in some very old properties but I have never actually come across one yet.

There used to be a damper that could be fitted in the flues in the very old days, almost cetainly not legal these days, never seen one, but they did what you are trying to do. Seal the flue off when not in use. Heck this could even be my memory corrupted by a horror movie!

Stuffing some loft insulation in is not as daft as it sounds but ideally make it visible so anyone can see the flue is obstructed. Making up a plate that fits nicely in the fireplace would be even better, ideally with a vent in it. If you want to permanently block the flue, then capping off the chimney as well would be advised with vents top and bottom.

Any words I have used you don't understand ask! - Most construction people I talk to these days don't even know what flaunching is! (edit: ducks for any flak as I just googled it and found it well covered!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back