Preventing penetrating damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have damp coming in underneath a shower tray and I'm fairly certain it's coming in from directly outside where there is a leak in the soil pipe which the shower and basin empty into directly outside (I can see water leaking from the pipe when the tap is on, it must be seeping through the wall.).

I can seal up the leak but I'm wondering if it's worth trying to prevent penetrating damp across this entire wall, as it's only single skin (albeit insulated on the inside) What might be the best method to achieve this? I've seen concrete plinths on a lot of older houses.

Attachments

• 1706884728828949253206337004768.jpg
    1706884728828949253206337004768.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 17068847538142280274797102496521.jpg
    17068847538142280274797102496521.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
They may be separate things, the leak from a loose fitting waste pipe into soil pipe, the damp because the shower waste is leaking dircetly underneath the tray. The dpc appears to have been breached which could cause damp on the inner skin of a solid wall, and this might be an additional factor. So worth checking under the tray, maybe you can get an inspection camera in.

They may be separate things, the leak from a loose fitting waste pipe into soil pipe, the damp because the shower waste is leaking dircetly underneath the tray. The dpc appears to have been breached which could cause damp on the inner skin of a solid wall, and this might be an additional factor. So worth checking under the tray, maybe you can get an inspection camera in.
Yes i have checked underneath and left the panel off for a good few weeks and there is no leak. First thing first, how to seal the broken soil pipe? Is there a bandage you can get which you then apply resin over or something?

Yes i have checked underneath and left the panel off for a good few weeks and there is no leak. First thing first, how to seal the broken soil pipe? Is there a bandage you can get which you then apply resin over or something?
They are usually connected by a strap and boss arrangement and can be removed, although it can be trickier if it was solvent welded. Plenty of vids on youtube and McCalpine and Flopast do replacement parts available at SF etc

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back