Price of job, quantity of materials, and some advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there this might be a bit long but please bear with me.

I've been asked to re skim a living room (two flat walls, a bay window and a fireplace) the room measures approx 11ft x 14ft x 7.5 ft high.

The reason they want a re skim is because they have removed both the dado rail and the picture rail apart from that the walls are in good conditon.

they also have taken out the fireplace and want me to board it up and skim.

About 1 ft from the ceiling to the old picture rail all around the room is artex

So really my questions are as follows

How many bags of skim will i approx need for the job?

How much would be a reasonable price including materials (the customer is a friends mother so i need to take that into account)

Whats the best way to remove the artex? I was thinking of an electric sander?

As all the walls are solid brick is it best to attach my skim beads with a dollop of skim?

And do i need to put skim beads on the external angles of the bay window even though they are not 90 degrees?

And finally any advice you may have regarding the whole job?

Sorry for this being so long and thanks for taking the time to read it and advising me

:)

Sponsored Links
Not sure if its pre 90s its not a swirl pattern or anything like that its just the spikey jagged finish but it needs to be removed because when the wall is skimmed it will need a thick coat to cover it and the customer wants it removed so there is no chance of seeing the join

Bags of multi - Dont know, maybe 4 or 5. (2 coats of multi finish)

How much to charge - How long will it take you/ how much do you want. You decide. Just because they are mates, doesent mean you have to knock anything off. I usually price up the job to what i'd usually ask for and then knock off 20 or 30 quid of provided they are my "friends" and not just an accuantence. Remember that very few people will ever repay the favour. Everyone these days wants something for nothing.

Artex - I wouldnt sand it, if old it may contain asbestos. If not old it will still make a mess. If its only thin and in sound condition then skim over the stuff after correct prep. If its thick knock off the deeper bits with a chisle and hammer, but dont destroy the building. And then skim it, but be weary of asbestos. If its still thick, then you can bond it before skimming.

Fixing beads - If the walls are brick you will want to float and set the room;) , but as you said re-skim im assuming its not. So yes you can put your beads on with a bit of multi.

Beads on external angels - Yes put a bead on though if its only a shallow angle, you may have to squash them down e.g - make the beads a smaller angle then 90 degrees or you can use stop beads.

Hope this helps sorry for the long reply.

Advise - Listen to what the real pros have to say! Theyll probs be along at some point
:D

LOU. :)

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply mate, i reckon its gonna take me a good full day! boarding the fireplace will probably take me a while, what with fitting the timbers etc as ive never done it before so should be interesting :eek:

i dont know what the going rate is for a job like this thats why im struggling for a price.

The reason they want a re skim is because they have removed both the dado rail and the picture rail apart from that the walls are in good conditon.
Skimming the lot seems rather OTT if the plaster is in good condition but if that’s what they want.

they also have taken out the fireplace and want me to board it up and skim.
Don’t just board it up, you should fit a vent & fit a vented rain cap the pot to avoid condensation.

How many bags of skim will i approx need for the job?
A bag of Multi will cover approx 10 sq/m; I’ll leave the math to you.

How much would be a reasonable price including materials (the customer is a friends mother so i need to take that into account)
Skimming just the walls in a room that size should be done in a good day so anywhere between £160 - £220 excluding materials but you need to be good for that top end. If you’re stripping Artex an extra ½ day & if you’re boarding up & taping that fire opening you could push it another ½ day; I would leave the pot cap to someone else though unless you really want to be climbing on the roof!

About 1 ft from the ceiling to the old picture rail all around the room is artex -
Whats the best way to remove the artex? I was thinking of an electric sander?
Ye gods don’t use a sander on Artex, a plasterer should not even have one in his tool bag; if the Artex is old & has asbestos in it, you’ll contaminate the whole house. I used to use a steamer & scraper to remove it from ceilings but now just skim over it, sometimes with an initial coat of Bonding if the pattern is course. If you use a steamer, don’t overdo it or you’ll blow the skim off the base, creating even more work.

As all the walls are solid brick is it best to attach my skim beads with a dollop of skim?
You can use multi but you’ll have to mix up some before hand; personally I use a staple gun & trade grab adhesive.

And do i need to put skim beads on the external angles of the bay window even though they are not 90 degrees?
Use thin coat stop edge beads on angles other than 90 degrees

And finally any advice you may have regarding the whole job?
Sorry if this appears a little blunt but, from the questions you’re asking, do you think your really up to this on a professional basis?

Sorry if this appears a little blunt but, from the questions you’re asking, do you think your really up to this on a professional basis?
this sums it up for me sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind you shouldn't be charging her at all if anything you should be doing it for free to get yourself a bit of practice in, theres no way someone with your limited experience should be charging money, but this is what i would do take the artex off at the top of walls or your going to have a lip or a step in the wall (a steamer is best for this) use stop beads on bay window if it was me sometimes i do them freehand do the maths at 1 bag per 10m2
your struggling for a price? honestly? i would do it for nothing when i first started out i done the first job for a bacon sandwich just so i could get some experience under my belt

Thanks for the advice I have done quite a few jobs but I have never had to deal with artex before or had to board the a fireplace before. They were my biggest concern's. :)

take the artex off at the top of walls or your going to have a lip or a step in the wall

Hypothetical question.....
If the pattern is deep and a tight coat of Bonding is needed, can it be applied to the whole wall to negate the need for removing the artex :?:

(not challenging your original advice Steve - just like to learn ;) )

Hypothetical question.....
If the pattern is deep and a tight coat of Bonding is needed, can it be applied to the whole wall to negate the need for removing the artex :?:

In a word yes! with the usual prep.
Agree, not a problem but you have to weigh up & ask yourself if it’s easier to strip off 1ft of Artex around the top of the walls with a steamer (couple of hours) or skim either the lot or try & taper off 1/2 way with Bonding; I know which I’d rather do! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back