Price of second-hand slates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What should I expect to pay for second-hand slates?

My neighbour has a quantity of 20 x 10 in slates left over from a dormer conversion which I want to re-use on a new garage roof to match the house. Both properties were re-roofed with new natural Spanish slates in 1993 so there should some life left in them.

He also has some original Victorian collared angle ridge tiles, 110 deg x 18 ins long approx, dark blue-grey in colour like engineering bricks. What is a fair price for these?

TIA

Chris

Sponsored Links
Depending on the grade of slate, if you went to a roof supplier, spanish 20 x 10 are around £1.70 each and clay ridge are £6.60 each plus the dreaded, but these are new so work a deal out from there.
Cheers
Dave

We work on a rate of around a quid each for second hand slates and the previously stated rate of just under 7 quid for the ridge is a reasonable rate

Sponsored Links
My neighbour has said he wants £1 each for the slates and £5 for the ridge tiles, so either he has been talking on the side to you guys or these are indeed the going rates!

Thanks all for your help.

new spannish slates are under a pound in cornwall at the moment I would offer him 0.50p or get a quote for new ones

As i stated, it will all depend on the quality and grade of the slate.
Cheers
Dave
I think the price your neighbour quoted is about right

How long is a piece of string? You need to know what slate he is trying to sell.. The ridge are cheap.

There are some very nice spanish slates around these days.. but there is some **** out there too..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back