Approximate cost of a new slate roof

Here are some photos of the roof:

front of house

frontroof.jpg

Back:

backroof.jpg

closer views of slates:

slates.jpg

The house measures approximately 11.3m x 12m at ground level.

Sponsored Links
A little blinkered I think Cumbrian... There are more than one Spanish slate, agreed some are crap. but certainly not all.
I personally am not comforatble with Brazilian or Chinese for that matter. but each to there own I guess.

Incidentally have you tried to buy any amount of Welsh slate lately? if not try checking cost and availability of say a 20x10..

A little blinkered I think Cumbrian... There are more than one Spanish slate, agreed some are crap. but certainly not all.
I personally am not comforatble with Brazilian or Chinese for that matter. but each to there own I guess.

Incidentally have you tried to buy any amount of Welsh slate lately? if not try checking cost and availability of say a 20x10..
Ive never had any problems buying welsh slate up here.Maybe its because most or the roofs up here on the older houses are either welsh or buttermere?Also i buy slates of many builders and roofers,always nearly always have a stock pile.I do know there are different grades of spanish,bzailian etc but they are just not in the same league as welsh.TBH i hate working with spanish or brazilian it just makes it a pain in arse.I admit they are a bit better now to what they were when they first hit the market.Blinkered lol maybe a bit or maybe im just a fussy bugger. ;)

Sponsored Links
Fussy..umm no a little out of touch or ill informed maybe. (i'll go along with you on the S American though)

The welsh slate try again.. I am really interested to know what you can come up with.. 20x10 best. ball park ex VAT more importantly Availability?

And maybe Burlington Blue/Grey random diminishing 22" to 12" Price ex VAT

Seeing as your in the area would you try 150 sq mtr Westmoreland green Random widths diminishing courses 20 down to 12 inch? price ex VAT

We might be able to do some business!!!!

See my new post.. sorry for deviating on this one

If some Spanish slates are good quality, while others aren't, could you give me any recommendations on which types / manufacturers to consider and which to avoid?

Fussy..umm no a little out of touch or ill informed maybe. (i'll go along with you on the S American though)

The welsh slate try again.. I am really interested to know what you can come up with.. 20x10 best. ball park ex VAT more importantly Availability?

And maybe Burlington Blue/Grey random diminishing 22" to 12" Price ex VAT

Seeing as your in the area would you try 150 sq mtr Westmoreland green Random widths diminishing courses 20 down to 12 inch? price ex VAT

We might be able to do some business!!!!

See my new post.. sorry for deviating on this one
I can only talk of my own exp using spanish slate,admittedly its not a great deal as i stear away from them and get my customers to do the same.In the early 90s they were pure crap.I have used them once since then and while they were a bit better they were a bugger to cut,too many breakages and not the strongest of slates once layed.Ill ask you if you had a choice to use welsh or spanish what would it be?i do have that choice.I just dont rate them.Welsh slate i buy them in for a pound each and as a rule i do not sell them bar a couple of roofing pals that do the same for me if needed.Buttermere i buy in for £300 per tonne.Burlington lol not too keen on them,dont buy them but occasionally i do get them if its slates off tiles on.As for buying welsh from a roofing supplier im told they are £1.70 each but as i dont buy from these places i could not be 100% about that price.Im also told buttermere are £700 per tonne to buy(dressed) from roofing suppliers.The reason i dont sell my slates is i have 2 lock ups so not short on space and dont like paying top dollar for them from roofing suppliers and like to have plenty on stock after all they dont need feeding or watered.Also what you have to bear in mind my immediate family,me,dad,grandfather have been roofing in cumbria since 1946 thus we have many contacts within the trade.

Interesting reply Cumbrian...
To answer the question, I would personally use westmoreland green, of course random.

welsh £1.70 a slate? is that for best? or standard?

I am still interested in availability.....

Family roofing history.... funnily enough my grand father was a Thatcher, his father was a slater..and I've been a roofer for 35 years since school.

Camster

Good Spanish slates are Villar Del Ray or Del Carmen Firsts there are more.. available through SIG possibly exclusively.. might be wrong there..
the very very best go not into the UK but europe where requirements are in fact stricter.
I have seen a spanish slate side by side a welsh and the difference was near zero.

Now I would never knock a welsh slate, just saying the world is round not flat.

Interesting reply Cumbrian...
To answer the question, I would personally use westmoreland green, of course random.

welsh £1.70 a slate? is that for best? or standard?

I am still interested in availability.....

Family roofing history.... funnily enough my grand father was a Thatcher, his father was a slater..and I've been a roofer for 35 years since school.

Camster

Good Spanish slates are Villar Del Ray or Del Carmen Firsts there are more.. available through SIG possibly exclusively.. might be wrong there..
the very very best go not into the UK but europe where requirements are in fact stricter.
I have seen a spanish slate side by side a welsh and the difference was near zero.

Now I would never knock a welsh slate, just saying the world is round not flat.
I agree random green(buttermere up here) us unrivalled.Availablity in what way?for me to sell?i dont sell them keep them for my own needs,availability for my own needs?no problem.May i point out im not out slating everyday as im do tiles,felt roofing,fascias,gutters,sheeting etc.I guess if i were slating everyday i may run into problems maybe?£1.70 per slate good or standard?as staed not 100% as i never buy from suppliers.Like i said i can only go from my exp with regards to spanish but might i add others i know in the trade do describe them as sh#ite.Now if you have used good quality spanish ill take your word on it.ps,Do the spanish your on about cut ok?are they sound once layed?pps,what do you have to pay for decent quality welsh?do you struggle to get them at that price?also when possible slating i use 2x1 battons.The only time i use 3/4 is if next door have half in laths.When felting i only use icopol hp t/o sbs.Like i said im a bit fussy.

By Availability I mean from the quarry.. not from you.

it is not possible to buy a best welsh for £1.70 here.. over £3.00.
The westmoreland over £2500 per tonne as you will know thats approx 18 sq mtr.

The Westmoreland We can get in 5 to 7 days.. I heard there's a supply problem with welsh (not all) so thats why I'm asking...

Cutting and holing something like a villar piece of cake....
The Brazilian not so easy..

Batten, we are talking slating obviously 25x50.. use anything less then your in for trouble..

We dont do felt roofs

By Availability I mean from the quarry.. not from you.

it is not possible to buy a best welsh for £1.70 here.. over £3.00.
The westmoreland over £2500 per tonne as you will know thats approx 18 sq mtr.

The Westmoreland We can get in 5 to 7 days.. I heard there's a supply problem with welsh (not all) so thats why I'm asking...
First sorry to o/p for hijacking your thread,datarball-OMG thats totally blew me away £3 and £2500.I would not know about availaility for the quarry.I do know they have started mining green at hoinister again but know not price or quantitys(try calling them?).All the slates i buy are reclaimed without exception.Alot of the buttermere i buy need dressed/holed as many are top holers.The majority of welsh i get are 18x10,then 20x10 and now and again 18-20x12( i do struggle to get large quantitys of this size) and sometimes tonne welsh.

Yes we get reclaimed slate just the same as you i expect.
Slate off tile on is no longer practiced here (usually)
if the slate is good, then it'll go back on probably.

But, often we are required to use new to be sure of a guarantee which you cant really get on S/h

Yes we get reclaimed slate just the same as you i expect.
Slate off tile on is no longer practiced here (usually)
if the slate is good, then it'll go back on probably.

But, often we are required to use new to be sure of a guarantee which you cant really get on S/h
Can happily guarantee reclaimed slate if good quality.Needless to say i wont buy crap but off course a certain percentage will not be top drawer,these slates i use for repairs and use only the good stuff for re roofing,ive never had any problems re roofing with reclaimed slate,most roofers i know use reclaimed slate.As for slate of tile on,i tell the customer slate is best but some times people just want the best price which is slate off tiles on.I would rather have a roof with reclaimed slate than spanish of south american.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back