Prices Across The World

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a Huawei MediaPad X2.

There are three versions, each having differing LTE bands.

GEM-701L - "International" version

GEM-702L

GEM-703L

In addition there are two models 2GB/ 16GB or 3GB/ 32GB.

There are a great many 3/ 32 702's and 703's out there around £260.

701's are rare, having only been launched around September time.

In Russia you can buy one for the equivalent of £234
In Saudi you can buy one for the equivalent of £228
In Germany you can buy one for the equivalent of £238

Then why is the only one I can find in the UK up for sale for

£343????

Sponsored Links
That's rip-off Britain.

$343 is £228.

It saves these firms having to do any maths.
It's $343 in the US therefore we will charge £343 in Britain.

Last edited:
It's a rip, as my kids would say.

Maybe if I get one I'll order it from Germany and pay the shipping.

Sponsored Links
It's $343 in the US therefore we will charge £343 in Britain.
And that was the feeling 30 years ago for things like computer equipment and technical books which were sold in the same versions/editions - Just cross out the dollar sign and put a pound sign in its place.

To be fair, some computer equipment does require more hardware customization for the British market, e.g. the standard IBM PC compatible keyboard does have a different physical configuration, not just a few keycaps replaced and software configuration changes.

Paying about $2.30 - $2.50 per gallon around here at the moment (a little more out in the sticks), but that's California gas prices for you - About the highest in the nation outside of Alaska & Hawaii.

Of course, the main problem in the U.K. is the absolutely extortionate amount of tax on it. What other regularly used and essential commodity gets taxed at 200% or more?

To be fair, some computer equipment does require more hardware customization for the British market, e.g. the standard IBM PC compatible keyboard does have a different physical configuration, not just a few keycaps replaced and software configuration changes.
What does it cost in China, Japan, Arabia etc?

What does it cost in China, Japan, Arabia etc?
Nowhere near as much, no doubt! I was trying to be fair by acknowledging that sometimes there are a few differences for production runs in smaller quantities which would justify a small difference in price. But certainly not the huge difference which is often seen.

But also, to be fair, are the retailers in all those places paying as much in taxes, compliance with regulations etc. as are retailers in Britain?

A bit off the topic of your thread, but in line with the theme - I filled the car up last night and gas here was:

per US gallon.

This effectively works out at roughly 29p per litre. :eek: What's the price over there right now?

Stop rubbing it in. ;)

Not only cheap petrol/gas, but you're lucky enough to live in The US. Tennessee would do me. Fantastic countryside, and the JD didtillery in Lynchburg. :confused::confused:

Stop rubbing it in. ;)

Not only cheap petrol/gas, but you're lucky enough to live in The US. Tennessee would do me. Fantastic countryside, and the JD didtillery in Lynchburg. :confused::confused:

Sorry to tell you this but.....the wife's family is originally from Tennessee, and we are going down there for a week next summer. I wonder if that distillery is on the way...it will be now! ;):p

Whitespirit66 said:
Tennessee would do me. Fantastic countryside,
Quite different from that side of the country, but out in this part of the "Wild West" there's some pretty nice countryside too. :)

DSCN1214.jpg

DSCN1293.jpg

DSCN1776.jpg

Last edited:
It's why the multi-national companies have always called Britain 'Treasure Island', because we seem willing to pay more than everyone else.

Sponsored Links
Back