Pricing a job in the North West

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got back in to site plastering after a 8 year break and have just priced a 155m2 D&D & skim job using Laxton's costing books.
The contractor said the price was way to high so looking for a realistic guide price if possible.
I have been living and working in London doing small private jobs so have lost track of current site prices.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How much do you want per day and how many days will it take you? Isn't that the bottom line?

I have tried to work that out but obviously i can't charge the same day rate as i did in London
Also as the work i have been doing was on a smaller scale.
To be honest i'm just not sure of the going rate for trades based up north.
I know i can't charge the same as i did in London and everyone i speak to up here tells me how much cheaper everything is up here including labour cost.

i thought site work was based on sq. metres? i avoid site work ersonally but a spread i work with down here in Oxfordshire says that he get around £4 per metre as the going rate for skimming.

Sponsored Links
I thought skimming should come in around £4-5 m2 but not quite sure about dabbing.
The way i think joe is trying to say is day rate divided by m2 plastered per day would give you the rate per m2.
So say £200 per day divided by 25m2 D&D and skim would give you a rate of £8 per m2 if i'm correct.
The problem is the price you want is never the price the main contractor wants to pay.

I guess the trade off is the main contractor may keep you in work for long periods. Earn less but work more. I don't think £200 per day is realistic for regular work.

Sorry the £200 thing was just a general figure.
If the £4 to £5 is the going rate then the costing books are well out of proportion to the going rate.
I won't print here what the listed price is for D&D but when i spoke to the main contractor he just abut laughed in my face.
So if the £4 mark is about right for skim how about D&D?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back