Pricing structures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been chatting to an ex boss of mine this morning and got into 'remember...', one such item was an AV system refit in a meeting room in the city in 1999, while it was in a state of flux the client wanted to do some training sessions and needed to seat up to 32 people with 2, lets call them desk top calculators, each. ie they needed 64 sockets for a 3 day period. Each walwart was around 10VA so a total of less than 1KW
The electricians working in the building were asked for a quote and we happened to be in the room working when they did their survey, afterwards I spoke to the client and said we could do this using multiway extension leads. They were hesitant as the electricians had convinced them that would be an unsafe way to do the job. A couple of days later they asked us for a price which I set at £150 on behalf of the company. They almost bit my hand off to accept it.
During todays chat my ex boss sent me an abridged version of the original quote:

One sixty three Ampere miniature circuit breaker shal be installed into existing distribution board ‘DB 2/3 EAST 3’ position seven yellow as discussed.

One sixteen millimetre three core armoured cable shal be loose laid inside the corridor ceiling as discussed from the East electrical riser to room 319. Said cable shal be terminated using suitable brass gland into a new hole drilled in said distribution board. Any position where said cable passes through any wall or partition shal be sealed with suitable fire resisting expanding foam. In room 319 one ceiling tile shal be removed and preserved for reinstatement, said cable shal hang down and using a suitable brass gland shal be terminated into one MK eight way metal clad consumer unit fitted with 100A main switch. As discussed said consumer unit may not be affixed to the wall so a stand shal be constructed using Unistrut, all exposed ends of said Unistrut shal be protected with plastic Unistrut end caps.

For a cost of £2196.00

Each socket circuit shal consist of five core armoured cable terminated into MK metal clad sockets using suitable brass glands in the form of a ring final circuit, a total of eight double sockets shal be fitted per circuit and equally spaced at one metre centres as requested. A ten metre length of said armoured cable shall be used for the final connection into the consumer unit, said circuit shal be prefabricated in our workshop. The final connection of each socket circuit into said consumer unit shal be made on site using a suitable brass gland, cutting the ten metre section of armoured cable to a suitable length and terminated into a MK 32A 30mA combination circuit breaker.

Said circuits shal be fitted to the underside of your GoPac tables using heavy duty nylon fixatives as discussed.

For a cost per circuit of £263.00

Total cost to include four socket circuits £3448.00

As discussed additional socket circuits can be added at a cost of £263.00 up to a maximum total of eight circuits.

There were pages of T&C's etc. which have been omitted. bearing in mind this was 18 years ago I think that might have been just a little bit steep. The 16mm supply would have been around 60-70m long and I knew at the time they had to run a similar feed to the adjacent room so getting paid twice for a chunk of it.

Sponsored Links
I remember being sent to look at one job, we had been asked to tender for the work, but did not really want the work, it would involve sub-contractors which we did not really want, so we worked out the price, then the boss multiplied it by three, and we sat back confident we would not get it. But we did, seems others didn't want the job either!

I remember being sent to look at one job, we had been asked to tender for the work, but did not really want the work, it would involve sub-contractors which we did not really want, so we worked out the price, then the boss multiplied it by three, and we sat back confident we would not get it. But we did, seems others didn't want the job either!
I've done that too for public address jobs and each time they have come back.
In this case they needed to run the feed to the adjacent room anyway at a later date so I see no reason to avoid the job.
What I haven't yet mentioned is they turned up with the pre-prepared kit to do the installation and were rather miffed to find it done with extension leads.

What I haven't yet mentioned is they turned up with the pre-prepared kit to do the installation and were rather miffed to find it done with extension leads.
Why did they turn up to do a job which they had not been told they'd been chosen to do?

Sponsored Links
Why did they turn up to do a job which they had not been told they'd been chosen to do?
They were the 'on site' M.E. guys for a major refurb in the building and they had got used to the extras being rubber stamped.
In this instance... oops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back