primatic cylinder to indirect

Sponsored Links
many thanks, twgas - will be going ahead on monday now, all being well - really appreciate your assistance - indeed, to all who have responded, thank you.

the plan is convert the sytem to y plan soon, but just need to get the cylinder changed as a matter of urgency - very bad corrosion round primary connections.... the current gravity system is all in 22mm, so i don't think there is much merit in changing a small section to 28mm.

again, many thanks.

If your hot water is a gravity system, you will find that a new cylinder will have a coil designed for a pumped system, unless you specifically ask for a cylinder for a gravity circuit, with a cylinder for pumped systems, you may find that gravity will not occur due to the high resistance within the coil, it would be worth upgrading to a fully pumped system straight away.
Usually gravity pipework would be 28mm

oh.... what does an indirect cylinder for gravity hot water look like relative to a pumped indirect ccylinder?

this sounds like a spanner in the works. doh.

Sponsored Links
Silverback has made a very good point, it is true that most new cylinders are designed for fully pumped systems. they do, just to make things worse, look the same.

converting the system to fully pumped is just not an option right now... is the general consensus that an indirect cylinder designed for fully pumped just won't work with a gravity system?

Yeah it wont work in theory, To be honest tho i feel it will be fine. The primaries to the coil as you say are 22 anyways. Alternatively a gravity cylinder will work fine at a later date when converted to pumped.

Gareth

how does a gravity indirect cylinder differ from a pumped indirect cylinder? it appears that gravity indirect cylinders are hard to come by...

joy! - local plumbers merchants had in a gravity indirect cylinder (previously mis-ordered by someone) similar size to what i was after - and the difference is in the primary connections positions - on this 1050mm high cyl, the connections are about 600mm+ apart rather than say 300 on a fully pumped indirect. same amount of coil, but stretched out (not such a tight spring, if you see what i mean).

many thanks for all your input, i'll let you know if it doesn't work!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back