primatic cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wanting to drain heating system on primatic cylinder, but want to leave empty drained for 2 days will this effect the domestic water system or can i still use the domestic system. If so what is best way of achieving this any help ismuch appreciated
thanks.

Sponsored Links
By draining heating side of primatic you will also drain the cylinder so you will not have any hot water till you refill.

Sponsored Links
You could plug the primary flow and returns and just use the immersion heater.

were is the best position to plug flow and return
where it's easiest, would be worth using a drain cock on return pipe if there isn't one on cold feed to cylinder

do you also have to blank off the entry holes into the tank aswell as the pipes or is there some kind of special adaptor required. forgive me if im wrong but i thought you could not bung primatic systems also the pipework seems to be 22mm not 28mm as standard on gravity hot water will it still be gravity on 22mm unless there is pump under floor boards, i shall have to double check first.

You can plug it whatever way you like as long as it doesn't leak. It will be gravity as you cannot pump on a primatic cylinder.

Gplumb, Wrong a primatic can be fully pumped not often seen but its allowed check manufacturers web site

Well of course its possible but its not a very good idea for the most. Only time i can see it working is if it was a very long run between the boiler and the cylinder. I have seen plenty of 22mm gravity systems working fine.

Is your cylinder from the 70's nello?

yes it is from 70,s i shall be draining system on wednesday will let you konw the results, if you think of anything else i need to know about please post up, once again thanks for help

feed back on primatic cylinder, system has a pump on under floorboards, i take it this is for the central heating, anyway having drained system re-run pipework and fitted new rads, proceeded in filling system back up. Opened hot taps, cracked open stop cock, left to fill for eternity, no water reaching hot taps does this mean i will have to reverse fill system through bleed valve on radiator which was the only way we could get system to fill last time round. also the system is 22mm not 28mm gravity water.

IF you have a mixer tap ,turn hot tap on and cup your hand over the spout then turn cold tap on so the water goes up the hot pipe pushing any air lock out of the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back