primatic to indirect tank,whats the difference?

have just found a company called copperform who do the primatic
I measured cold water infeed
100mm from floor
copperfeeds is 100mm

my lower `c/h pipe I got at
150mm from floor
c`pperfeeds is 140mm

my upper is 325 from floor
c`pperfeeds is 318

all 1 `inch pipes

I may have got mine slightly out but even if it is different would this be close enough for straight fitting ,do you think ?
my hopes are up now!!

Sponsored Links
I suggested putting the F+E above the cylinder not the cold storage.... Have seen F+E tanks in strange positions, as long as its below the level of the cold storage I didnt see a problem.

mikell, you may be lucky and find there is sufficient 'play' in the pipes to accomodate the difference to fit the new primatic, but it is important the flow pipe rises continuously from the boiler. Minor adjustments to the pipes shouldnt be too difficult, I wouldnt however 'force' any pipes to fit. This could put strain on the new cylinder, eventually may leak.

Personally though, i'd take the opportunity to ditch the primatic, fit a new indirect and F+E tank. The primatic is not future proof, should you wish to upgrade your system and controls, the primatic will not be suitable for a fully pumped system. For now, it also offers chance give the system a clean out, then dose with suitable inhibitor. As said it'll cost you more long term when the system corrodes through inability to add inhibitor.

Personally though, i'd take the opportunity to ditch the primatic, fit a new indirect and F+E tank. The primatic is not future proof, should you wish to upgrade your system and controls, the primatic will not be suitable for a fully pumped system. For now, it also offers chance give the system a clean out, then dose with suitable inhibitor. As said it'll cost you more long term when the system corrodes through inability to add inhibitor.

that is food for thought hugh and deffo something i will consider as I am aware in a few years I may well have to change the whole system as it is quite old but financially for now ( just lost my job ,things are tight ,blah blah ect ect ) I just need to tick over,but thanks gents for now and a big nod to you hugh!

Back to your question 'primatic to indirect, what's the difference?'

A lot less aggro that's the difference. Primatics are clever but flawed. Ok so you need another tank in your loft. Small beer really.

Another thing to consider: with primatic, you are unable to use corrosion inhibitors in the system, because there is every likelihood that the rusty old water that runs through your rads can mix with the water in the immersion cylinder (if the air bubble that seperates the two systems should fail, etc). This 'orrible stuff thats in your rads can come out of your taps. Also, no corrosion inhibitor allowed means a corroding system = expensive!

Primatic - why did the inventors bother???

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;) View media item 11263 View media item 15179

Sponsored Links
Yes, a few more months in this country, and I'll go stark, staring.

If you could find me a willing wench, who's interested in a marriage of convenience, and possibly a member of the Daniels family of Lynchburg, Tenn.,then all my problems are over.

See you on the Ocoee river for a paddle. Duelling banjos optional! ;)

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back