Primer advice

Cheers opps,
I will have another go with the Floetrol again when I have a bit more time to experiment, especially the Primer/Undercoat.

At the moment on these doors I will continue without the Floetrol, as it seems to be working better without especially the Satinwood.

After quite a bit of experimenting, I find that thinning the Satinwood with 50% water & the Primer/Undercoat with 40% water seems to work best.

Sponsored Links
Any tips of the trade for filling small hairline cracks in the paintwork, before I spray the Satinwood on?

There are a number of fine surface fillers out there, be careful though as some are a pig to sand back.

Epoxy resin filler would be the best option if the doors have not been painted yet. If you have already coated them it is likely that you will end up sanding through your new paint.

I use red devil one time but on very fine hairline cracks it is difficult to sand back with out pulling the filler back out, thus you need a fine paper, eg 400g silicone carbide.

One of the downsides of spraying is that it has no gap filling properties. You might get away with brushing the paint over small gaps, it might even suffice for some of the hairline cracks.

Up to now I have just applied the primer/undercoat, so will try the epoxy resin (that is what we have been using on any other filling we have done)

After sanding, If needed I will touch up with a bit of B-I-N as there are a couple of rails that the primer/undercoat is not taking to (a bit to resinous I think) so I will also touch those up with a bit of B-I-N.

Do's this sound OK?

EDIT: Sorry its not epoxy resin that we have been using its 2 part polyester filler

Sponsored Links
That is what I mean by epoxy resin filler.

What do you mean when you say that the acrylic primer is not taking?

It was only on one small rail on two of the doors.
The paint just wasn't covering, it was almost as if it was running of these pieces, it was a darker piece of wood & looked very resinous to me, the first door I sprayed a bit of B-I-N on & it was fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back