water based primer/sealer over knotting solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing my door linings & architraves.

Sanded back so I can see the grain.

Applied Colron Knotting Solution.

After the headache its given me I am now thinking that my Dulux water-based wood primer/sealer will not cover it.

Is this the case?

If it is, what are my options? Sand it off and then apply zinser bin then proceed with primer/sealer and satinwood as planned?

Sponsored Links
Water based primer sealer will cover the knotting solution but you will probably end up putting a few more coats over the knotted areas. Make sure each coat is fully dry before applying the next or you will end up taking it back off.

One of the Zinsser primers would probably have been better because they do the knotting in all one. If you do decide to go with one of these, there is no need to remove the Colron first though.

Water based primer sealer will cover the knotting solution but you will probably end up putting a few more coats over the knotted areas. Make sure each coat is fully dry before applying the next or you will end up taking it back off.

One of the Zinsser primers would probably have been better because they do the knotting in all one. If you do decide to go with one of these, there is no need to remove the Colron first though.
Cheers!

I will proceed as originally planned.

I may spot prime the knotted areas the night before I do the whole lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back