primer and admixture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - just about to fit underfloor heating. guidelines recommend using a primer and admixture with a flexible tile adhesive.
is this just PVA or something more speciallised? (not sure if flexible tile adhesives are still cement based?)
cheers

Sponsored Links
I researched this when I put my underfloor heating down. I was told PVA has no place anywhere near any tiling. The admixture I used was bal admix and I used it with the cement based bal rapidset flexible.

I didn't have to prime the floor as I put down insulating boards which don't need it but I did prime the walls as it was newly skimmed plasterboard. Can't remember what I used but it wasn't PVA.

Opinion varies but I would not recommend using PVA when tiling anywhere & certainly not in wet areas. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions of whatever adhesive you’re using, used incorrectly a primer may affect tile adhesion. For example; BAL Redimix adhesive over new plaster only requires priming if it’s been over polished but the plaster should be primed if using a cement powdered adhesive; usually where large/heavy tiles are involved. Use a flexible cement powdered adhesive + Admix (not primer) when tiling over under floor heating & mix this with the adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back