Primer colour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just started to paint a shed with Leyland grey primer and I've run out. Like an idiot I've just been and collected 5ltrs but when I've opened it up it's white.

Does it matter?

I'm painting over it with black barn paint.

Should I tint it and if so, with what? The leyland it water based and the barn paint is oil based so they won't mix will they?

Any quick advise while I'm sat here waiting to paint would be good?

PS - I've searched the good old internet and there doesn't seem much info on the matter. Same with the manufacturers websites - which sort of leads me to believe that it doesn't really matter.

EDIT: I've just realised the grey is an undercoat not a primer!! - so double ****-up? or not to worry?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So in case anyone was interested - I contacted Leyland paints who told me that I should paint the rest of the shed with the primer, then a coat of grey undercoat and then the Barn paint. The undercoat I've already done should be re-coated and then painted with the Barn paint.

So I opted against Bedec at Toolstation because it was £55 for 5ltrs. I bought from Premier Paints (brilliant company BTW) who did 5ltrs of Paint Master paint for £30. The Bedec stuff is supposed to be able to paint straight onto bare treated wood with all the benefits that Barn pain offers but when I contacted Paint Master they told me to use primer.

So, I'm £30 in for the Barn paint, £20 in for the Undercoat (to which I need at least another 2.5ltrs, maybe two!!) and then £25 for the primer. So £75-95 for the job!!!

Having said that, if the Bedec didn't cover the shed in one tin then I'd have had to buy two which would be £110 - but at least it would have been one application instead of the three I now have to do! Brill!

Oh well, you live and learn!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back