Primer Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am repainting a dado rail white. It is made of hardwood and was originally stained (1995) a darker shade and then varnished with a clear water based varnish. I am now on the second coat of white primer and have noticed a yellow discolouration seeping through which I assume is the old stain.

Has anyone got any advice about how to stop this happening.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It could be old stain..or it could be resin bleeding through as its hardwood...give it a rub down and give the whole thing a coat of white knotting

Zampa said:
It could be old stain..or it could be resin bleeding through as its hardwood...give it a rub down and give the whole thing a coat of white knotting

I have some ordinary Knotting, can I use that.

Yep...but bear in mind it will be brown and nee more overcoating...you may also be able to use stain block

Sponsored Links
Thats darker still he wants to paint it white...whats the zinser one...the stain blocker?..is is the bullseye 123?

If wood dye is bleeding through (as explained above) then the dye will bleed through every stain blocker. The only thing that stops wood dye is Aluminium Sealer. Personally i find Zinsser is only good for hard-to-stick surfaces and it has let me down to many times when using as an stain blocker.........................

The only type of wood dye (not stain as a lot of people call it) I know of that bleeds is the oil based one..but this is a tricky one..

'Second coat of white primer'...hmm..why two primers pickles? are you using water based primer/undercoat?

Second coat was only because the first one discoloured. The old dye was the sort you get that smells like strong white spirits and dries fairly quickly. It had 2 coats of water based varnish and I did it 11 years ago so I can't understand what's going on.

I think I will try and get some white knotting. Is it the sort of thing you can get at B & Q etc.

No...youl need a trade centre and ask for either white knotting or 'styptic knotting'...Leyland Jonstones do it about 9 squid a litre

As far as I know B and Q dont do it.

I'd go for the aluminium primer personally. It is specially made for just that purpose.

joe

joe-90 said:
I'd go for the aluminium primer personally. It is specially made for just that purpose.

joe

No..its specially made for priming wood...but it will seal stains I give you that.

But Pickles wil then be faced with having to give it at least two undercoats to blot out the dark grey colour of it.

Just got a very good result with 2 coats of Rustins water based white sealer/primer

Hope it works for you. Though you may find that wood dye will bleed after 72 hours !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back