Painting over dark stained/varnished panelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to lighten the woodwork in an 1920's house. The doors, skirtings etc are currently dark and look to have been stained and/or varnished. All surfaces are sound and dry. My plan is to end up with an off-white top coat, probably Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood (water-based).

Having looked at replies to similar queries I'm reasonably clued up on the main steps in the process (rub down, prime, etc) however I am uncertain which primer to use:-

Dulux Super Grip will hopefully give an adequate bond to the old surface but will it also act as a barrier to any staining that might come through from the original coatings? Or is bleed through not a risk with stained and/or varnished coatings?

Aluminium primer is recomended where there is a risk of bleed through but will it have an adequate bond to the old surface?

What would you recommend?

Any help very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Bikeit, somebody else mentioned Zinsser to me so it is reassuring that you have made similar recommendation. Many thanks for taking the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back