Painting over Stained Spindles and Banister - AGAIN!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm about to start preparing my stair spindles and banister to be painted in satinwood, probably white.

They are currently stained, but not varnished. The last coat applied was Sadolin Extra by myself about 2 years ago.

I have read at length all posts on this brilliant forum, but each time I think I know how to approach this, I see someone with problems.

Current plan:-

Wash down with sugarsoap
Rub down with wirewool and light sand
Wipe down with white spirit
Apply Dulux Super Grip
Two coats of Satinwood
Standback and admire :LOL:

I have also read about the use of Superdec, oil based primers, Aluminium primers etc

My biggest concern is bleedthrough after I'm done

Can someone endorse or correct the above? I'm aiming for a white, hardwearing finish

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am about to start this job, so I will report back on how it goes.

I used Superdec to paint over my old veneer doors and have some left over, I will use that initially and see how it covers.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, just in case i am running into a disaster

Sadolin won't bleed through anything.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comment Joe-90, at least I am not the only person who thinks that this might work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back