primer??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my ceiling skimmed by a plasterer. Before I paint it what should I prime/seal it with? Also, whats then the best kind of paint for doing the ceiling and any other tips?
thanks

ALSO- about to line the walls with lining paper- should I also prime/seal before doing this? heard pvc is good?

Sponsored Links
New plaster, prime it with a mist coat of the same emulsion that you're going to paint it with, thinned with water. You'll probably find instructions on the tin. you might like to use matt the first time rather than silk.

Same for the walls, as soon as they're dry enough to go pale. Some advantages of emulsioning the walls when they're new: It will show up any blemishes in the surface so you can fix them; it will seal it so that it doesn't grab later wallpaper paste; it will give an even colour and shade so that differences don't show throw pale papers later. Lastly, if it takes you a while to get round to papering (and the plaster takes time to dry thoroughly) a painted room looks perfectly respectable.

To be honest, why you should av got walls plastered aswell. Though "JohnD" has given u spot on advice but the only thing i can add is do not thin your MATT EMULSION for the ceiling anymore than 20% water for first coat and apply second coat unthinned.

Surely the amount of thinning will depend on te brand thoug...you can thin dulux supermatt by 50% and it still does the job..machpersons eclipse the same..

Other brands such as Johnstones a bit less...

Leyland...about 1% water might be pushing it! :rolleyes:

If stevenmc2 has a retail paint then the thining should be a lot less again.

Sponsored Links
I am not getting into i dispute cos if it works then fine. However, using suppermatt over artex at thinned 50% is ok but if thinned at that rate when wallpaper is applied over say new plaster that has been emulsioned with a first coat of thinned 50% and then the wallpaper is stripped at a later date, then the emulsion will blister and lift off causing a surface that will need to be either filled or re-plastered over. This happens due to overthinning and the emulsion loosing its binding properties. Though u r spot on with leyland. Also that is why you never read on emulsion instruction that if using emulsion as a sealer that not to thin more 20%.

Oh yes your right there...over thinning is deadly..just spent a day scraping a poorly applied mist off of someones wall.. :(

Only point I was making is the amounts will vary...and the surface itself should be taken into consideration too..ive seen loads of mist coat applied far to thick on a pourous wall...ends up looking like chunky woodchip

I plan to hang paper on the plastered walls, but heard that new plaster will soak up the paste which is why I wanted to prime first. Never heard of dilluted emulsion to do this job, but why not!

Personally I wouldnt rely on a coat of paint..id rather size the walls first with a coat of thinned out paste..or some of the real thing..or a thinned coat of PVA..but there still could be a risk of the seams shrinking slightly revealing the plaster..I would line the walls myself.

You' still eed to size them though...stick a drop of white emulsion in with the size..it will help indicate where you have been..

For some reason the french call that 'clarcolle'..dunno why though...anyone?

Although I do know 'colle' is french for paste..

Quiet a bit...

Prime is what you normally do to new wood or metal to make it ready for the next coating..it binds to the surface..

Size..traditional glue size is made from modified starch and is purely for applying to bear absorbent walls prior to papering...but we normally use thin paste..does the same thing more or less..people say..'it makes the paper stick'...sort of..it allows to to slide the paper in place and slows down the absorbancy of the surface so the paste doesnt dissapear into the wall..it will also help the paper dry evenly..

Seal..a sea mammal...quite sociable but not into clubbing at the weekends.. :rolleyes:

OK OK...sorry... :oops: seal is more of a term when the surface is treated to become impervious to water...but its used loosely...some people say a mist coat 'seals' the surface..it doesnt really..it primes it....prime as in 'make ready'..

So endith tonights lesson on decorating terminology..hope you sleep better now... :)

Ooops...why doesnt the 'delete post thing work?

Very educational indeed. I would have to take exception to one thing though, where I come from seals are a common site propping up the bars of local pubs & clubs :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back