Printer Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ten year old printer I've not used for maybe 4 years that's been in the loft since an HP 7100 https://support.hp.com/lt-en/product/hp-officejet-k7100-color-printer-series/3440925/model/3440926 so two questions:

If I get some new cartridges will it still work OK after this time? I expect the old cartridges are still installed.

Presumably I'll be able to get a driver to download for our new Windows 10 family laptop? I did try to fathom my way through the HP website, I get the impression it might be easier if I just plug it in and it will look for the driver online?

Ideally I want to know the answer to these two questions before I stump up £25 for a cartridge.

/is not very computer savvy

Sponsored Links
I’d be tempted to buy a new printer. There are plenty available online for not much more than you are planning to pay for some cartridges. At least you’ll have the certainty that it will be up to date and will work.

Hi, before buying cartridges, just try hooking it up and seeing if a driver is available. Like you said, Win10 should search for one, and probably has a generic deskjet driver.
If you do buy a new printer, then be prepared for it to come with cartridges to get you going, not nice full ones you can buy separately.
HP do offer various ink rental schemes which my father-in-law swears by.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Well yes I know I can just go and buy some piece of junk but it would be helpful if I was able to print A3 as I'm now working from home and my trade is architecture, I might just plug it in and see what Windows 10 does ....

Sorry, I know this is bad form, but I have a related question.
I have an Epson A3 printer which has not been used for at least three years now, though it worked properly with Windows 10.

The old cartridges were left in it and, of course, could be removed and replaced. I even have some unopened ones. Unfortunately, as many will be aware, Epson inkjet printers use built in print jet nozzles, unlike most other brands which have their nozzles built in to the cartridges. Consequently, simply changing the cartridges will not overcome the inevitable problem of the jet nozzles by now being totally blocked up.

Does anyone know whether these can easily be cleaned by me and, if so, what is the best way to go about it?

(If I have stepped on anyone's toes, please say so and I'll repost this on a new thread.)

meths may shift it. Use cotton buds, or a toothbrush

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back