Prismatic Water Cylinder - Should so much water be coming from expansion pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a J&S warm air heating system with Eljan / Prismatic for the hot water. Over the past few weeks I have noticed a small amount of water coming from the outside overflow so I went to the loft to investigate. There is a pipe that runs up over the top of the tank so that any water coming from it will go in to the tank. I am assuming this is an expansion pipe from the prismatic water cylinder below? The water storage tank has a line of white scum around the water level which is sitting just below the overflow pipe. However, there is a patch of scum running right up to the top of the tank where the expansion pipe is, and the foam around the outside of the expansion pipe is all wet.

I am thinking that water must be coming out of the expansion pipe and splashing up the side of the tank? This would appear to be quite a lot of water if it is pushing the level up enough to cause water to come out of the overflow? The other morning I was in the bathroom when I suddenly heard what sounded like gushing water above me; the water heater was on at the time.

I just wondered if this all sounds correct. Should there be a lot of water expanding from the prismatic cylinder or should there just be the occasional trickle. I am wondering if something is wrong.

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi , it's an Elson Primatic setup ;) It may just be the float valve filling the tank too much. Or it might be leaking internally. You need a Gas Safe plumber to have a look @ the system ( because of the J+S gas heater) You may even find someone on here who covers London ( if you post your area)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back