Pro tech anti corrosion system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just moved into a new place and have been rectifying the multitude of defects. One of which was a device fitted to the hot water cylinder called a pro tech anti corrosion system, which had a red light on.

popping the cover off quickly showed that the problem was caused by one of the two wires being disconnected, and reconnection has the unit operating again (well a green light is on and the red is off)

The wire is a secure fit behind a cover so its not likely that it has come loose by itself.

My main concern is that there may have been a reason the previous owner disconnected the device.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Sponsored Links
its not that bad, its a form of anode iirc.

if you have reconnected it and its working fine then there is nothing to worry about.

Green light good.

Red light./no light bad.

Cylinder is guffed without it.

They are real fun to change as you nearly always have to drill them out.

Sponsored Links

They replaced sacrificial anodes on steel or stainless steel water heaters. It would invalidate any warranty if it wasn't working. If you've got the receipt or installation details, there is typically 15 or 20 years guarantee against corrosion on the tank body.

I've only ever seen them on ariston unvented. lots of them red light on and happily working away forever.. these are old however, docklands new builds circa 1995 i guess.

I#ve seen a few die horrinbly at the tappings when the PT has died.

Mind you infairness they are Ariston; and are sh|te so it could have just been coincidence.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I've only ever seen them on ariston unvented. lots of them red light on and happily working away forever.. these are old however, docklands new builds circa 1995 i guess.

This is an Ariston unvented system installed 2004. Been runing aout a week now with no noticable problems.

Still non the wiser as to why it was disconnected... oh well

if you have reconnected it and its working fine then there is nothing to worry about.
Is that like the Bomb Detector that the MOD and others used :LOL:

Is that like the Bomb Detector that the MOD and others used :LOL:

No, it (anodic corrosion prevention thing) works, proven technology.

It wasn't the MoD, it was the Iraqis and various other defence ministries where bungs had changed hands.

The UK MoD had tested it, demonstrated that it didn't work and never bought it. Nothing even slightly funny about it; the directors would have been hanged in any civilized country.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back