Problem - Horstmann ElecEconomy 7 Timer and Megaflo DD145HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am having some recent issues with my hot water - i.e. I'm lacking any. Currently I have an electric heated Megaflo system with two elements. The system is timed by a Horstmann EE 7 Timer.

Currently the timer is set as follows:-

Off peak/timed - on 2am - off 9am on 4pm off 6pm
Boost - on 7am - off 9am (this is because we use most of the water between 7 and 830 am).

Issues:-

Until friday, all was fine... i.e. hot water in the morning - on the odd occasion I will hit boost if needing extra water... (although see point 2 below - which I now know)

1. The timers boost function (connected to the upper element) has stopped working. I know this because the light now doesnt come on. Also when you push the button - say at midday, timer doesnt "click"on.

I have tried resetting the timer, which then works for a short period - say a few hours - but then stops again. That is when you press the button, nothing happens.

2. I have only ever had a minimal amount of hot water. I believe having read numerous posts, that my lower element is not working. The timer output (using a elec gauge) is reaching the lower element. So power is getting there. Hence my feeling that it is just not working (the reset button on the element/thermo has not cut out either).

This I probably never would have found out if point 1 above hadnt started happening. I'm (plumber is) going to replace this shortly.

The temporary solution

Having worked out that the bottom wasnt working - I swapped the timer outputs. I.e. so that the timer was working only on the upper element. Hot water fine - but obviously (at least now) only half a tank of warm water and no boost facility... plumber on the way so wont be long before I swap back...

Questions re timer:-

1. Is it likely that the timer has developed a fault? They seem to be pretty good when you read the reviews - and the plumbing merchant says they are the industry standard. The timer is only about 6months old... (it originally was just on/off switched) I dont want to have to replace, but will do if needed.

2. Is the fact ive not had a working lower element potentially the cause of the timer's issues? i.e. is the timer maybe getting overloaded somehow?

3. We recently had a power cut in the flat - something overloaded on a different circuit and the main fuse blew - could this have caused a problem? The boost was not running at the time - although the normal timer was (this normal timer is switching fine)? I think this is unlikely - any sparkys have a view?

Question re Megaflo

1. Im getting the bottom element replace next week (£75) plus labour. Is it worth getting the top element replaced at the same time? They are again about £75 but the labour will not be much more (tank has to be drained etc... Megaflo is about 6 years old (maybe a little older).

2. Reallistically what thermostat setting should I be putting on the top and bottom elements (when they are both working). 5-0 is the range.

Any help would be gratefully received.

All the best

MikeWood

Sponsored Links
Hi MikeWood

Hope you have sorted this now, but for the benefit of other people who may be having issues with Megaflo systems - thought I would post my experiences with this as I have just (hopefully) resolved similar issues I was having -

1. First of all re: Horstmann Timer - the boost function operates the upper element and does not function when the lower element is operating (controlled by the Off-Peak heating times). As per Horstmann's user manual the default Time on for Off Peak is 02:15am and Time off is 07:15am - as they state this should normally provide enough hot water to last the whole day - if this isn't the case the boost can be manually switched on or timed to operate at a specific time of day (just make sure it doesn't clash with the Off-Peak times that are set).

2. The Cotherm Thermostats that were originally fitted in my system were type TSE T115 (seems like a lot of people have had issues with these thermostats constantly popping the safety cut-out switch and resulting in not having one or both of the elements operating in their megaflo system) and have been replaced with TSR 00009 - I bought 2 of these direct from Cotherm and they seem to be operating fine. The setting on the thermostat should be just below 5 (there is a raised section on the outer part of the dial that suggests this is the best level to set the themostat at).

So for less than £90 I managed to go from having the same issue of not having enough hot water to having hot water for the whole day (without having to use the boost function) the same as my system first operated 5 years ago.

Hope this helps anyone out there who are suffering with lack of hot water from Megaflo systems
Brian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back