Problem plasterboard over truss hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need a quick piece of advice as to how best to prepare a ceiling for plastering.

The square extension we have had built has a double truss across the room between its two side walls. From this double truss there are a further 5 trusses (another double and 4 singles) that have been fixed from the side to side double truss to the end of the extension.

When we fixed the trusses we put a couple of truss hangers a little below the bottom of the truss they were fixed to. The side to side double truss is also fractionally twisted. The main problem is the second double trusses hanger which is about 7-8mm below where it should be. As a result the plasterboard when fixed to the ceiling looks a mess.

I don't want to remove the truss hangers, cut out the bottom of the trusses and refit as this isn't possible for all 5 trusses. I have on 3 of the truss hanger cut a slice out of the plasterboard, thinning it to fit.

How would you deal with the larger gap (drop). Is it possible to cut the plasterboard around the hanger(s), leaving it exposed and then fix a thin piece of plywood to the hanger(s) and plaster over the plywood.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you cut out and expose the problem trusses, will the plasterboard still be secure?
What sq area have you covered? I would be tempted to double board, leaving proud area free to bond flat. But if you can cut out and board is secure, you my still be able to bond flat.
Really should checked the levels prior to boarding.

Thanks for the reply - the area is about 30m2, so not keen to double board. We have arranged it so the truss hangers are on the join of almost full sheets. If we cut out the sheet will be secure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back