Attic Trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to build an extension to my existing bungalow. This will be a two storey dormer-style extension built with attic trusses (or similar) - to make it clear the second storey will be within the attic trusses.

The extension is to be rectangular, 7000mm wide and 12000mm in length. there will be a loadbearing wall just off centre lengthways which will support the trusses for the majority - the remainder will have an RSJ to support the trusses above.

I have previously had a quote for 50 degree timber attic trusses which span over the 7m width. These provide:
- An internal width at floor level of 5000mm;
- A ceiling height of 2430mm (at the centre) - this spans horizontally for 2832mm (top tie);
- An internal vertical dimension at the eaves of 1138mm.

This makes the sloping part of the roof to increase 1292mm vertically (2430mm - 1138mm) over a horizontal length of 1084mm (5000mm - 2832mm / 2).

Even though this sounds quite a size to myself, I am thinking this may feel a bit claustrophobic? I was looking across the street the other day and seen a house that was basically 7m width and had a steep looking pitch - I was looking through the window and it didn't look very big at all inside. Has anyone else had any experience of similar size attic trusses? Any pictures of the finished product would be great.

I did look at getting stub/bobtail trusses with a vertical strut of 600mm which I thought may give that extra space, however I lowered the pitch to 40 degrees and ended up with even less space!

Also, what would be a decent length for a double bedroom with the above dimensions? Where do people position their wardrobes etc. with limited wall space?

I understand there will be plasterboard and finishing to be added to the finished dimensions which will slightly decrease the size.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back