Flat garage roof truss/joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a diy build on a garage and need to know what size of joist/truss to use for the span width.
I have a span width of 5.2m to the outside of the brick for a 14ft door and the garage is 7m long door to the back.

I was told to put the joists every 600mm along the lenght of the garage.

Do I use 45x220mm as this will fit the height of a block in the wall when building or will I get away with a smaller size 45x150mm?

Cost aint hugh issue if the weight of the roof will be! But the cheaper I can get away with the better.

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
5m clear span is quite a gap and would require some meaty joists maybe 225 x 50mm or even 250mm deep.

have you thought about using a piece of steel midway, thus splitting the 7m run in half?

Yeah I did think of that but havn't looked very far into it!!

Any idea if a 254 x 102 I beam would do? Or what would I need and then what size of timbers if the beam was taking the weight?

I have been looking at 45 x 220 whitewood regularised and treated C16 timbers if not using a steal beam.

Sponsored Links
For a 5m span you are looking at 9x2 at 400 centres or 9x3 at 600 centres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back