Problem removing thermostatic cartridge for shower/bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Crosswater Metro shower/bath valve and water no longer gets hot. Crosswater advised me to remove and clean the cartridge but I haven't managed to reach it yet! I've removed the outer chrome casing ok and am left with the 3 protrooding chrome cylinders, for shower, bath and one for temperature control. Each of these has a sort of very small screw-head at the front. I've tried to unscrew this from the temperature control cylinder, using screwdrivers and allen keys, without success.The screw head seems to be damaged. Now I'm wondering if this does screw out at all ....the instructions just say to remove the chrome housing of the controls. Can anyone advise on this? Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's very similar. Early in the video he mentions needing a Phillips screw driver to remove the control knob and then he unscrews the screw holding it in place. This is the screw I'm trying and failing to remove, so at least I'm on the right lines! However my screwhead seems much smaller and is damaged so that no screwdriver seems able to engage with it. I guess my problem is to find a Plan B when a damaged screwhead gets in the way like this. I'm nervous about damaging the valve so not sure how to proceed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back