Cartridge Replacement on Aqualisa 100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe the thermostatic cartridge has failed on my Midas 100 shower. The flow rate is really poor, especially at higher temperatures. I have the same shower in another bathroom, and switched them over to check if the problem is to do with the pressure in the pipes. The flow rate is poor on the faulty shower unit in either location, and fine on the other shower unit in either location i.e. I have a faulty shower unit.

I tried to check the cartridge but couldn't remove it - it says in the instructions to clean filters. I removed the grub screw on the bottom of the unit (with a hex key head) and removed the cross head screw from the right hand (thermostatic) side - but can't work out how to remove the cartridge as it seems wedged in.

Can anyone advise how to remove the cartridge so I can confirm this as the problem (by switching the cartridge with the good shower).

The part I think I may need is 518101

Sponsored Links
If you have removed and the thermostatic temperature lock, then some pump pliers on the valve and turn anti-clockwise.

Last edited:
But the cartridge costs £62!! You can buy a completely new bar mixer valve for £20 on eBay or Amazon.

Thanks guys.

PullerGas - I was assuming the fixings (in the wall) were bespoke to the Midas 100, from what you're saying (I think!) the gap between the hot / cold pipe inlets to the shower and the bolt threads are standard, so I can attach any bar shower to replace the Midas?

Are the ebay things any good - the Midas ones are over £75?

Thanks, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

PullerGas - I was assuming the fixings (in the wall) were bespoke to the Midas 100, from what you're saying (I think!) the gap between the hot / cold pipe inlets to the shower and the bolt threads are standard, so I can attach any bar shower to replace the Midas?

Are the ebay things any good - the Midas ones are over £75?

Thanks, Paul.

Ach, all bar mixers are 150mm centres so there's not an issue, this is the bad boy I've fitted in the past;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermosta...-Exposed-Chrome-Round-Modern-T1-/231313860460

We fit the Midas in New Builds & they're not the best or should I say; they're just as cr.p as the New Builds........:LOL::LOL:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Aargh I can't remove the cartridge!! Tried the pump pliers, removing the cap and the grub screw, but they just turn the whole cartridge anticlockwise, it doesn't come out. I've tried pulling it but no movement.

Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to be a bit braver with the amount of pulling force!

Aargh I can't remove the cartridge!! Tried the pump pliers, removing the cap and the grub screw, but they just turn the whole cartridge anticlockwise, it doesn't come out. I've tried pulling it but no movement.

Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to be a bit braver with the amount of pulling force!
:whistle::whistle:...........A new valve would be 1/3rd of the price & fitted in 10 minutes!!
But hey, I've only been in the trade 40years, what do I know!!

Sorry PullerGas by a valve you mean the whole bar unit or something else?

I was simply going to take the cartridge out and try to clean it - I totally defer to your experience and my lack thereof!

Sorry PullerGas by a valve you mean the whole bar unit or something else?

I was simply going to take the cartridge out and try to clean it - I totally defer to your experience and my lack thereof!

Don't apologise mate, I'm just pulling your plonker. The link I pinged up is a whole Bar Mixer Valve, you'd just shut the water off, disconnect the hose, Hot & Cold 3/4" nuts. Then reconnect in reverse order.
The cartridge will be Friar Tuck'd.
HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back