Midas 100 thermostatic bar shower flow problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Midas 100 thermostatic bar shower that was fitted in my less than 3 year old new build Taylor Wiley house.

Tried to use it today (it's the spare shower and never gets used) to find that only a trickle come out.

After messing around, I removed what turned out to be the thermostatic cartridge and forgot to turn the water off at the main - however a torrent of water came out which I presume proves that the issue lies with the unit and not the plumbing.

The cartridge looks brand new, the shower is shiny inside with no dirt etc. I replaced the cartridge, removed the shower head and hose and turned the shower on, but only a trickle came out of the bar unit, however the temperature did change when the adjustment knob was turned.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I'm loathe to pay for a plumber to come out to point out something obvious, though will obviously do so if i can't resolve the issue myself.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, try turning off mains cold water supply and opening both hot and cold on a tap below the shower. Undo the x2 nuts behind the mixer valve (anticlockwise). Check both filters (if fitted). If your feeling brave, close the shower door and close the taps that you opened and crack open the stop tap to check that water flows from both pipes.

The manufacturer has a trouble shooting guide which I have pasted in below the "Restricted supply" part. Or you can go direct to their site
http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/common-faults/

Restricted supply

It is quite common to find a restriction within the hot or cold water supply, such as an air lock or a blocked filter, which reduces the hot/cold water supply to the shower and affects the performance.

Aqualisa showers react very quickly to temperature change and if one of the supplies to the unit is being restricted then it may reduce the flow of the other supply in an attempt to balance the hot and cold flow. The shower may even activate a safety cut out feature.

There are ways of checking the supplies to the unit to ensure that the fault is with the shower and not the water system.
◦ Check the other outlets in the property (taps and bath fillers etc.) to see if they are being affected. However, Aqualisa showers normally have their own independent supplies so this may not be the most conclusive test.
◦ Check the inlet filter(s) for debris (for advice on how to do this, feel free to contact our Customer Service team by telephone or e-mail).
◦ Remove the head and/or hose and run the shower on the hottest and coldest setting to compare the flow (both settings should be roughly the same). If there is a significant difference in flow/pressure between the two settings, there is likely to be a restriction to one of the supplies (Thermostatic and Digital only)
◦ Observe the water flow, does it spit or splutter? If so, then there could be an air lock in the system (Thermostatic and Digital only). See ‘Air Locks’ (link)

If you are quite certain that there is adequate hot/cold water reaching the shower but it will not produce any flow or the flow cuts out, then there may be a fault with the unit. If you are experiencing a fault with an Aqualisa product, you can contact our Customer Service team to discuss your options for resolving the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back