Bathroom Shower Bar Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have recently moved house and I am now an owner of a bathroom shower bar, with a pump in wall fitted behind it.

I replaced the shower head as the previous was useless, since doing so the temperature of the water in the shower only goes luke warm.

There is lots of pressure from the water and the heat of the water in the remainder of the house from the combi boiler is fine.

I have reset the thermostat cartridge in the shower bar, but made little difference.

I have assumed the thermostat cartridge in the shower base has gone, so I removed it but found the rear of the plastic cartridge is stuck in the shower bar and I can't get it out.

Any suggestions?

At the moment I am weighing up replacing the entire shower bar with a new one, bearing in mind the thermostat cartridge replacement will cost 40-60 pound anyway. Also the pump makes a buzz noise when the shower is on some times which I thought I could get a plumber to look at the same time.

Any ideas, suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
with a pump in wall fitted behind it.
from the combi boiler is fine.
Although not impossible, a pumped shower and a combi boiler would not normally be found in the same installation.
Is there a hot water cylinder? Make and model of boiler? Make and model of pump?

The shower valve may be defective, in which case replacing the entire thing is a sensible option.
However it could also be a partially blocked hot feed, or the pump is damaged on the hot side.

There is no water tank but old cold water tank remains in loft unused.

I dont know if there is a pump i just assumed there was one. With combi's you dnt normally have one? My boilet is a combi Baxter one.

The noise i heard when the shower was on sounded like a pump so I assumed I had one, but i dont know for sure.

Sponsored Links
A combi heats water on demand (as in when you turn a hot tap on, the boiler fires). Pressure is whatever the mains water pressure is, there is no pump.
A pump would only be used with a stored system, which would have a hot water cylinder.

Turn off the hot and cold water to the shower, remove it from the wall and there should be two mesh filters on the inlets. If blocked, clean them and replace.
If this doesn't improve things, then a new shower would be a solution.
Probably worth checking the flow from the hot outlet without the shower fitted - there may be a blockage elsewhere or a valve may be partially closed etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back