Problem Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a complete idiot I am hoping an "expert" can help me. The flow from the cold water tap in my kitchen seems to have slowed right down (the adjacent hot water tap is OK) and it has become very stiff and will only turn a couple of turns (the other tap takes about 6 - 8 turns to be full on). Nowhere else in the house has a similar problem. Do you think it might be a washer problem?

Sponsored Links
Fault with tap mechanism, very common these days thanks to modern standards. If you're mechanically minded you could try taking it apart and then clean and grease (silicone) the mechanism. Otherwise a new tap might be the easiest option.

Thanks very much for the advice - not very mechanically minded so probably the new tap option would be the safest bet.

B & Q and most plumbing shops sell tap reviving kits, quite cheap and make the old tap like new.

JonB

Sponsored Links
Sorry - what is a tap reviving kit and does it require any skill to use? (if it does my wife won't let me near it!!).

It is the top of the tap including the screw thread & washer.
If you turn off the water remove the handle & cover, you should see a brass hexagon. Hold the tap spout & undo the brass hex. take it to your local store and ask for equivalent bit. Alot cheaper than a full tap & easier to change.

JonB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back