cold water tap on mixer NOT working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cold water tap on the old fashioned bath mixer has suddenly stopped working. It was fine yesterday but today it is stiff to turn and there no cold water coming out. I have temporarily addressed the problem but turning down the hot water on the boiler so that the hot water tap provides a decent shower. What might be causing the problem with the cold water tap?

Sponsored Links
Here is a picture of the mixer.

Attachments

• IMG_8268.JPG
    IMG_8268.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,032
Sponsored Links
If you take the tap apart you will find the fault. It might be that the circlip has come out of the groove in the spindle, or the left-handed thread that moves the washer up and down has come unscrewed. Those old taps are very simple and easy to fix. You might as well change the washer while you have it apart.

Have a look on Utube or Videojug for "changing a tap washer" which includes taking it apart. Use a UK vid.

For example. The knob on yours will pull off upwards now you have taken the screw out.

I've removed the silver lid and the blue insert below but I can't see inside anything else which I can unscrew. I can't see how the tap head itself can be removed. I've tried turning it anti-clockwise but it just gets to a point where it will not move.

I've attached a close up of the internals of the defective tap. I can't see anything further which I can unscrew. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8271.JPG
    IMG_8271.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 854
I think the knob will pull off upwards. It is on splines on the spindle. See the vid I have now attached (above).

Can you pull the knob upwards to release it from the splined shaft?

Edit: John beat me to it!

That's great. Thank you for the video which was very helpful. Now all I need to do is turn off the mains. I think the person who did the plumbing in this flat many decades ago didn't think about local valves. I have though found a main valve in the pavement outside. I will give that ago mid morning tomorrow to reduce inconveniencing the neighbours.

did you take a screw out?

it might be stick on the splines with limescale or corrosion. Wiggle it around a bit as you pull.

Get your revivers and then you can attack the tap head . They're normally made of plastic or some rubbishy alloy. I got some very similar on EBay the other week but they had a screw in the centre

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back