Problem using gloss outside in warm weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was painting a friends carport timber with undercoat and dulux trade hi gloss (I know you will ask third eye!!). The timbers were quite large so i rolled the gloss on with the intention of laying off with a brush. It was a warm/humid day and the gloss was drying so quick it was dragging when i brushed out. Is there a better suited gloss to use outside on a warmer day(which remains workable for a longer period). Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not as far as I know...they are all more or less similar on that front..its the solvent evaporating from the surface. Being hot and maybe breezy it will do it a lot quicker...leaving the more sticky oils behind.

I would have left it in a rooled finish myself...using a foam glossing roller...its only a car port at the end of the day.

zampa, it did cross my mind to leave it rolled, but, the finish on the wood looked like it had hundreds of tiny bubbles. This was using (admittedly) a cheap quality foam roller. Maybe it was it my technique!!. Any comments?

In a situation like that, add a bit more white spirit to the gloss, and still well, the heat thickens the gloss, so just keep adding small drops of white spirit, it will make it easy to paint, and not drag as much.

Sponsored Links
bubbles reminded me of "solvent pop" I read about years ago when repairing old motors and doing a bit of spraying with cellulose :idea: could be the roller encouraged this ..brushwork alone may have been better.....

I dont know if you can still get them cos were finding hard to get them now but instead of a foam roller for glossing try getting a mohair roller. This are ideal for glossing as they dont produce bubbles when rolling and if applied well it wont need brushing out afterwards. I doubt your local DIY shop will do them. We have to go to a builders merchant to get them. I know that Maxim still do mohair rollers.

spice said:
In a situation like that, add a bit more white spirit to the gloss, and still well, the heat thickens the gloss, so just keep adding small drops of white spirit, it will make it easy to paint, and not drag as much.

Heat doesn't thicken the gloss....it thins the gloss.

Seen everything now......

:eek: thinning gloss with white spirit in a heatwave :eek:

Don't do it.

I beg to differ growler, as I came across the same problem the other weekend when we had the mini heatwave, and I was glossing doors, and I was having a terrble time with the gloss.

As quick as I was laying off, the quicker it was dragging, so I kept adding white spirit to keep the gloss from getting too clumpy and thick, and it worked a treat, the doors came up perfect. :D

I agree with you brutus, the little mohair rollers are very good, I bought some the other day in B&Q, so some stores have still got them, but best place is the decoratating shop.

spice said:
I beg to differ growler, as I came across the same problem the other weekend when we had the mini heatwave, and I was glossing doors, and I was having a terrble time with the gloss.

As quick as I was laying off, the quicker it was dragging, so I kept adding white spirit to keep the gloss from getting too clumpy and thick, and it worked a treat, the doors came up perfect. :D /quote]

Something is definitely wrong around here.

Heat will thin the gloss in the short term..like in the can..if you leave the can hear a heat source forinstance..but in the case of using it from a tray or paint kettle..its different..once the solvents have evaporated the paint will become stickier to use...

Thicker and stickier are two different things in this case

Paint will also go stickier on a cold day...but that is more to do with the effect the tempreture is having on the oil and binder...not the solvent

I agree with Zampa on this..I tend to leave solvent based paint overnight in the ariring cupboard in the winter if im using it the next day. ;)

Precisely...heat thins gloss, so when working with it, only use small amounts at a time from your main tin.

Don't bang a load of turps in it.

Zampa said:
Heat will thin the gloss in the short term..like in the can..if you leave the can hear a heat source forinstance..but in the case of using it from a tray or paint kettle..its different..once the solvents have evaporated the paint will become stickier to use...

Thicker and stickier are two different things in this case

Thats it Zampa, thats what happened, I have my paint in a kettle, and the paint was dragging on the doors, and I was painting so fast I thought my hand would drop off, as the paint was dragging/getting stickier on the actual doors, so to overcome this, I had to add some white spirit into the kettle to make it easier to go on.

I know what I am trying to say Growler, but it obviously doesnt come out right, but thankyou for pointing it out to me. ;)

Anyway, I am off for a long weekend, :D have a nice weekend people.

Spice

What make of gloss were you using? I beg to differ about gloss going thicker in the heat. But different makes have more or less driers in it. I've used all makes of paint and when it comes to gloss there's only one that i use and thats Dulux. When warm dulux goes thin but other paints i have used do go thicker or drag when applying them. Worse I've seen is Farrow & Ball. I dont rate this paint one bit. Ok they might have nice heritage and period colours but thats it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back