problem with bathroom tap - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mixer tap in the bathroom sin. it has a lever on top of the spout which you move up to allow water out and move to the right to make the water hot and move left to make it cold. its been problamatic for a while ie whereas when new you could push the lever up and it would stay taht way letting water out it got to a point where the lever would drop on its own so you had to hold the lever up to get water out.

i tried fiddling with it this evening thinking that it was stuck but as i put pressure on the level suddengly water came out of the top of the tap where the lever sits onto the spout (its like a sort or ball joint).

i was able to isolate the water suply underneath and turn it off and was able to take the lever off the spout by pooping out a small blue/red plastic plug. i could see a screw through the hole under the lever and was able to get the small scre out and pop off the lever - underneath was a long squareish block which fitted into the head of the lever and the screw went through a hole in the lever and secured the lever to this block. the block moves when pushed and i assume this is the water control.

now i placed the lever back on and tightended the screw but when turning on the cold water supply water comes out of the tap top of the tap as soon as i move the lever and no matter in what direction i put the lever the water will not stop. the hot supply is not as bad and at present i have a hot supply going to it which does at least turn off (if drips slightly though).

does anyone know how i can fix this problem. when looking inside the tap there seems to be a large metal nut surrounding the block in the middle.

i apprediate any advic ethat can be given on this matter

Sponsored Links
change the cartridge it knackered.
remove the large nut and it will pull out.

do you know make/model of tap so you can get a new one ?

how do i get to the cartridge - there seems to be a chrome surround covering the brass nut (the nut is like a large old style 50p piece).

i can see the nut below the chrome surround, does that surround come off then to expose the nut below.

is the cartridge the black gizmo surrounded by the nut and which has the square block attached to it to which the top of the tap /lever attaches

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back