Problem with chimney liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm posting this on behalf of my uncle really. He has been renovating a bungalow for the past 10 years (long project!) and is on the home straight now (i.e. fitting kitchen and other stuff).

He has come acros a problem, however, with the chimney. He recently bought a new woodburner for the lounge without assessing the state of the chimney. When he returned and investigated, the chimney liner which is currently installed is approximately 5 feet short from the bottom of the chimney. Therefore, when the woodburner is in position there is a 5 feet gap between the woodburner outlet and the start of the chimney liner. The problem is how the best way to go about inserting a short piece of liner from the woodburner to the existing liner.

Apparently flexi-liner is a possibility but how that would fix to the existing liner I have no idea - due to the fact you can't reach it from underneath. Is there some way of shoving flexi-liner down the top of the chimney and fixing it in place at the top?

Or is there a better way of overcoming this problem?

Any suggestions or tips would be most grateful.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Have you notified your local Building Control Officer before working on the chimney liner.

"Flues are controlled services as defined in Regulation 2 of the Building Regulations, that is to say they are services in relation to which Part J of Schedule 1 imposes requirements. If renovation, refurbishment or repair amounts to or involves the provision of a new or replacement flue liner, it is "building work" within the meaning of Regulation 3 of the Building Regulations. "Building work" and must not be undertaken without prior notification to the local authority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back