Problem with door casing and plaster level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a slight problem with a door frame that I'm about to attach some architrave to! Not sure how the original architrave was fitted successfully, but I've just found out after removing it that the plsater sits about 3mm proud of the door frame at one side, and it's flush at the other side.

So what I've tried as a first go is to attach a 3mm wood bead to the side that's not right, then I'm thinking of planing a 3mm strip down to nothing and glueing that along the top to compensate for the difference - my worry doing this of course is that one side of the door is going to sit further inside the architrave than the other. :confused:

Is there a standard way of sorting out issues like these short of replastering (can't afford the expense) or removing and refitting the door frame (too much upheaval, missus would kill me)?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Sponsored Links
The easiest way is fix the architrave temporary, then cut down the plaster along the outside edge of the architrave with a stanley knife. Remove the architrave and gently chisel of the plaster so its flush with the door frame. Then refit the architrave, you will never notice it is sat in the plaster 3mm.

John..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back