Problem with driveway channel drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie, based in the Midlands, just joined today. Wish everyone a very good morning, or when you read this.
I have bought and refurbished 3 bed 1970s house..problem with its channel drain outside the garage

The channel drain outside the garage door has become a pain. Last month I used my Karcher 7 like Rambo and power washed the driveway. In the process, a large amount of mud probably went down the driveway and blocked this drain. It had overflowed on several occasions, flooding the garage albeit to a minor degree. This weekend I opened the covers and cleaned all the mud out. After which I washed it with a hose. Within 5 mins the soak pit/gulley began overflowing again!! Seems like its capacity is very poor or it doesn't drain well.

I tried to scrape the bottom of this soak pit/gulley. In case there's some drain pipe which has been blocked, as suggested by friends. All I came across was silt and pebbles, even at a depth of 50 -75 cms. Before I stopped scrapping any further.

What I now fear is heavy rains or melting snow(next week) will flood the garage again. Thought of several options

1) To build a small brick dam, just inside the garage, only one layer and that too the bricks to lie horizontally and not vertically? Just how a garage seal would work, but only this would be made of bricks and plastered over with cement. If this makes sense

2) Another option, is to divert the water coming down the driveway, into the garden. Again by building a small sloping dam, built from pebbles/gravel and cement?

Not sure what else I could do. Besides calling out a drain expert, only to be told the same, as many suggested, that it's a soak-away drain

Please see some pics attached

KR

Mel

Attachments

• Driveaway.png
    Driveaway.png
    325.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Soak pit.png
    Soak pit.png
    174.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Drain.PNG
    Drain.PNG
    967.7 KB · Views: 74
  • thumbnail_IMG_7034.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7034.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Probably a "fake" gulley. If your ground is suitably porous then install a soakaway in the garden and pipe to it.

Sponsored Links
I use my garage for storage and it suffered In the past from surface water flooding.

I solved it by spraying a line of expanding foam, about 4” wide and an inch high just inside the door.

the concrete has to be totally clean and dry, so I cleaned it thoroughly and used a heat gun to get rid of any moisture in the concrete. It’s kept the garage floor totally dry for the last 3 years no probs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back